eWoodShop - Whiskey Barrel Bases

Quick little project, to be stained and finished by client:

Was thinking about Gregg Guarino's original post and questions RE:"templates, routers and double-stick tape" when I was making the jig to do the curved bottom on the already profiled trim for the sides of the whiskey barrel bases, so added a couple of extra photos and captions illustrating a simple basic procedure.

Reply to
Swingman

Well those are cool and will upstage the barrels! Will the barrels actually have spirits inside? Nicely done!

Reply to
Leon

Thanks. My somewhat clumsier method worked better than I dared hope, but I see in your pictures a few things I might do the next time pattern routing comes up. I predict that it will, by the way; knowing that I can do it has expanded my "design palette".

Firstly, I will make the template piece such that there is excess material in the direction of a non-curved surface, and I'll attach "fence" pieces to it. I made the template identical to the finished piece all around, making it a chore to attach. I used a few spring clamps, moving one of them at a time as they got in the way of the router table.

I should add here that I thought that was an iffy proposition from the beginning. I figured those first attempts would be for practice; who knew it would work out the first (and second, third and fourth) time?

Here's the (still in-progress) result:

four matched, curved pieces, and they're not even arcs of a circle. :)

Secondly, I think I'll have to get some of those toggle clamps. Nothing protruding below the jig to get in the way of the table as you do the routing. I assume you move those from jig to jig as needed.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Yes, if possible, I always make the blanks longer than needed to allow for feed-in and tail-off portions that can be trimmed later. I also "usually" u s a toggle clamp or two preferably, as opposed to tape. The toggle clamps e nd up being nice handles to use while running the cuts. I am often doing th is on my shaper and I am spinning a big 2 3/4" dia 3 head cutter with a fol lowing bearing at the bottom, so the piece sits on top of the template. Wit h that big meat eater spinning I want good places for my hands to be and as far from the cutter as possible. I have had it grab and throw a time or tw o and that is all it takes to add some caution.

Biggest hint is to put the blank in template and mark it, then bandsaw the blank first so you are just doing a trim cut when you hit the router/shaper .

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

On 4/8/2014 7:53 PM, SonomaProducts.com wrote: > Biggest hint is to put the blank in template and mark it, then bandsaw the blank first so you are just doing a trim cut when you hit the router/shaper.

No band saw here, I'm afraid. But I did cut the blanks with a jigsaw first.

Greg Guarino

Nice project.

I'm curious. What will the whiskey barrels be used for, be used as? I as sume they will be placed in a home (decorative?) setting. If so, specifica lly what setting, if you know? *Even better would be a pic, of its use, i f that would be/become available.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Pretty fancy for barrels. Are they special barrels of whiskey on display for some reason?

Reply to
none

Thanks. Not much too it ... the devil is in getting the details of what the client wants out of their heads. IOW, one of those little side projects with just enough challenge to suss out what the client wants, but not lose any sleep/money over. ;)

Client has an existing "barrel cabinet", and has ordered another. Apparently there is a market for whiskey and wine barrel cabinets ... similar to this (have no idea where he bought them):

As you can see, they are not inexpensive.

Client's existing "barrel cabinet" is in a formal dining room, in a $1.5m+ residence. I assume it is used for serving purposes, thus the ability to roll around easily.

I asked the usual questions about load, use, etc, but did not delve to deep into "purpose" ...just enough to build exactly what they wanted, without it falling apart in the next hundred years or so. ;)

Clients concerns were size, trim design, height off floor, being "furniture like" and that it fit into existing decor, thus the use of what is basically red oak "door casing" for the base trim/sides, with a separate "feet" attached.

(such profiled casing is flat on only one side, and is only coplanar for

3/4" at the top and bottom of the flat side, thus the need to fiddle around with router jig marking to keep the curve cut perpendicular to that plane)
Reply to
Swingman

Absolutely. I have a dozen or so of various sizes and have used them on literally hundreds of like jigs.

The number I use usually depends upon the size of the curve/profile being cut.

In this case, the middle one was necessary because the trim picked out by the client was in short supply, and some pieces had more bow/crown in them than you want when making a router cut that needs to be perpendicular to a (the only) flat side ... the middle toggle clamp did the trick.

Reply to
Swingman

;`)

Home Depot sells the Jack Daniels whiskey barrels by the half. Two halves for reassembly would cost $60 and some change for tax.

Reply to
Leon

Yabbut they haven't been Kalifornicated yet ... adds another whole dimension of perceived value to the ignoran.. errr initiated.

Reply to
Swingman

Twue. And that charred interior would probably not pass the cancer/sniff test.

This reminds me of the home show that we went to a couple of weeks ago. They were selling what appeared to be wooden kegs, beer keg sized, and a bit smaller for two to three hundred dollars.

Reply to
Leon

ntly there is a market for whiskey and wine barrel cabinets ...

I have an old wooden barrel, salvaged from my grandfather's barn, with a fe w rat/mouse chewed areas, but it's pretty much intact. It was used as a ho ney collection barrel. The wooden lid had a hand crank spinner apparatus, on top/attached to it, that spun the honey comb, within the barrel, allowin g the honey to be flung out and dripped down the sides of the barrel. I do n't have the lid and spinner apparatus.

This barrel may be about 40" tall, 24" diameter. I'm at a loss as to what I might do with the barrel. Like olive oil barrels, as decor, I don't need any more of those and I don't need another large pot-plant holder. A wine barrel cabinet isn't so appealing, to me, either.... I'd prefer not to cut it, in any way.

I'm fishing for an idea that's different, unique(?), if possible. I'm simp ly at a loss as to what I might do with it, either for myself or for someon e else, and, at the same time, preserve it, intact. I dislike disfiguring an old relic as this.

Thanks for the feedback. Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Filled with sand and some oil makes a great place to store shovels.

Reply to
Markem

We used a half dozen whiskey barrels in the feed room when I was kid. A race/performance horse might often require a different mix of feed stuff depending upon its training schedule, so we had need of quite a few of them.

Used some of them later for western saddle racks, but like you, couldn't find much of a use for them except for what they were intended to do ... hold something inside.

I don't like making a "cabinet" out of them either; and they are, after all, "containers" ... and it has proved difficult, if not impossible, to get your mind out of that box/barrel. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 06:52:25 -0700 (PDT), Sonny

Obviously, put a beer keg inside it. :)

Reply to
none

Might consider putting some weight in the bottom, false plug the open top and affix a piece of glass ontop ...perfect for a small end-table on a covered porch or deck. Or, put a chess board ontop and...

Reply to
Digger

"Digger" wrote

Well, there is the old standby use of a barrel. Plug the ends and ride it over Niagara Falls. Al kinds of folks have done this. I sure there is some kind of internet gathering place for folks who want or do this kind of thing. ;)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 14:21:21 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

none

Small plant holder, not large. ;~)

Leon