Evapo-Rust - Any Good?

According to all the stuff on the net Evapo-Rust is almost pure magic. Have anyone tried this on a cast iron table saw top? It would be nice to have the vintage top of my Unisaw look like new.
Pierce

Not going to happen. The rusted iron/steel is gone for good, so when you remove any rust, what you have left is pits and holes. No magic formula can replace that missing metal.
--
Murray Peterson

Maybe I should not have said "like new". It seems that cast iron and possibly steel, oxidizes in layers so to speak. The obvious is the red rust and that is easy to remove. There is a black oxide that forms under that and that is tougher to remove. I was looking for an easy way to remove that black oxide. Maybe I shouldn't? The top in question is very smooth to the touch after cleaning it with a 220 grit RO sander. the original grinding marks are still visually evident. I might post pictures of the top so you can see what condition it is in. Anyway the question is should I go for appearance or leave well enough alone?
Pierce

Sorry, but I have no good experiences to help you here. I have an old knife that is stained as you describe, and I was never able to restore the colour. If you find something that works without damaging the metal, please let us know.
--
Murray Peterson

R. Pierce Butler wrote:

Leave it alone until you're ready to sell it.
<-bad hair day too
R. Pierce Butler wrote:

Check out thier web pages:
http://www.evapo-rust.com /
Sounds like molasses and water. Or perhaps the derusting compound found in molasses, and water.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote in

Will molasses mixed with water work or is that a really messy ordeal with minimal results?
R. Pierce Butler wrote:

I haven't tried it myself, but if you google this newsgroup you will find it discussed.
I have use the electrolysis method with spectacularly good results-- except for when I got the polarity backwards...
--

FF