Epoxy

A friend of mine is making a knife. He wants the handle to have a very strong finish on it. Do you use Epoxy for that? Isnt that what is used to put a thick clear coat on tables in bars and restaurants? Or does epoxy get cloudy? Would several coats of poly be better. He is a beginner so he doesnt have alot of tools or experience.
"UTRECHT" writes:

I wouldn't.
?Isnt that what

Sometimes.
It contains no UV inhibitors so if exposed to sunlight, it fades.

Don't know if poly is a choice.
I'd be tempted to make the handles from a filled plastic and not worry about a finish.
It certainly be more sanitary if this is a food application.
HTH
--
Lew

You ought to google up that information. I checked out a few knife sites and they are really particular about the handles. They immerse the wood in solution and sometimes put it under pressure or in a vacuum to impregnate the wood. You might get some good ideas.
Preston

If you're looking for the strongest finished handle, I'd use one of the synthetics or impregnated woods available for knife handles. I'd also go with a full tang as opposed to a threaded tang for the blade. (and no jokes about poon...) I would then use epoxy along with rivets to attach the scales.
On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 01:32:40 GMT, "Preston Andreas"

Jim K wrote:

Poon might be good for a knife handle:
WordNet (r) 2.0 (August 2003) [wn]
poon n 1: wood of any poon tree; used for masts and spars 2: any of several East Indian trees of the genus Calophyllum having shiny leathery leaves and lightweight hard wood
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 02:04:12 -0500, Silvan

Everyone knows that Poon tangs are too expensive.
----------------------------------------- Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician! http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design ================================================
If I were going to make a knife I planed to use I'd use a penatrating oil finish that I can re-apply when needed. If the knife were strictly for show I would consider a finish that laid on the surface of the wood and looked all pretty