Epoxy

A friend of mine is making a knife. He wants the handle to have a very strong finish on it. Do you use Epoxy for that? Isnt that what is used to put a thick clear coat on tables in bars and restaurants? Or does epoxy get cloudy? Would several coats of poly be better. He is a beginner so he doesnt have alot of tools or experience.

Reply to
UTRECHT

I wouldn't.

?Isnt that what

It contains no UV inhibitors so if exposed to sunlight, it fades.

Don't know if poly is a choice.

I'd be tempted to make the handles from a filled plastic and not worry about a finish.

It certainly be more sanitary if this is a food application.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You ought to google up that information. I checked out a few knife sites and they are really particular about the handles. They immerse the wood in solution and sometimes put it under pressure or in a vacuum to impregnate the wood. You might get some good ideas.

Reply to
Preston Andreas

Reply to
Jim K

Reply to
Damned if i know

Poon might be good for a knife handle:

WordNet (r) 2.0 (August 2003) [wn]

poon n 1: wood of any poon tree; used for masts and spars 2: any of several East Indian trees of the genus Calophyllum having shiny leathery leaves and lightweight hard wood

Reply to
Silvan

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 02:04:12 -0500, Silvan brought forth from the murky depths:

Everyone knows that Poon tangs are too expensive.

----------------------------------------- Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician!

Reply to
Larry Jaques