Enjoy a Festool Cabinet Ckass

Other than the brushed versions of AluPanel, the stuff is perfect for outdoor letters. Flat shapes in a large palette of colours and gloss. The back can be v- carved to within the face foil and then folded as a box or beam. There are v-bits made just for that. http://acmesignsupplies.com/file_library/prods/156_Belin%202008.pdf The no-paint and durability makes it a good choice for letters to be put on stand-offs on walls. Easy to cut as well and about $100.00 for a 4' x 8' sheet x 0.125"
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 08:21:25 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

How do you treat the edges, or do you?

I'll bet shipping is hell for the big sheets...
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer

Often times, I don't do a thing to the edges, but if they're indoors and people get close, some filing and sandpaper will clean the edges up nice.

their distributor who runs a truck our way weekly... so no direct charge when *I* need a sheet or two.
SignFoam costs me $60.00 - $ 90.00 depending on 1-4 sheets per shipment.
The shit that kills me is the Extera. I won't be handling any of that for while. Dirty, expensive, and heavy.
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 11:03:19 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Do you ever fume or flame polish them?

Yer one lucky banana farmer, dude.

Is that the cost or the shipping fee?

Extira: wood, phenolic resins, zinc borate, water repellent, and other ingredients. Yum! Sounds like chem-petrified Ipe. I don't blame you for not liking it. --== But it's RENEWABLE/SUSTAINABLE ==--, right?
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer

Not The AluPanel edges. But I have used a proper electric heat gun to polish the edges of acrylic. Now I don't remember which ends up with a nicer edge, the extruded or the cast acrylic.

Shipping.
technologies. It is water resistant, not water proof. I'm looking into it. Still heavy though.
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 19:37:56 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Yeah, I meant the acrylic.

That's positively a real issue with quoting prices for a sign. Wow!

MDF is always a bitch to work with. Heavy, dulls bits quickly, full of formaldehyde, butt-ugly grain. ;) Is MDO what you're referring to? I haven't yet worked with it but have heard it's made for outdoor signage. I'd think the foams and AluPanel were better for that nowadays.
-- Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving. -- Albert Einstein

Weather resistant. Nice flat, clean surface (usually one side) ready for primer/paint. A lot of guys primer then high gloss colour paint then vinyl cut letters. A relatively low-cost durable sign. Edges are often coated with epoxy to waterproof them.