End grain mortise routing jig?

I need to put some mortises for some bed side rails into end grain. The railes ar 80" long, so a table won't work. Looking for ideas for a plunge router jig to help me out. THanks.
Stacey
I recently cut a bunch of mortises with a router using a simple template made from 1/4" MDF and a guide bushing with a 1/2" straight bit. Above half of them were cut into the ends of 2x4's. I think it would be pretty easy to clamp an 80" board into a bench vise standing on the floor and use this setup by standing on a stable step stool. I can post a picture on ABPW if you need one.
Bob
I was hoping for something that I could clamp and do it horizontally. If I stood the board up, I woudl thikn it would be hard to really see what I am doing.. but that is a thought.

While I'm sure it could be done 8 ft above floor level, it should be just the same if you clamped that bed rail to a workbench and plunged your router "sideways". As always, scrap stock testing would be a good idea.
Woodwork Safely, Jim Barry http://www.WoodchuckCanuck.com
Dig a hole.

Stacey wrote:

Lay them out carefully, use a Forstner to drill out most of the waste and clean them up...you'll be done by the time you've fooled around w/ the jig... (imo, ymmv)
I actually tried this approach. Unfortunately, the wood is just too hard. It has been a project ongoing for a year off and on.. in soft white maple.. and the wood i guess has seasoned. I do not like how my mortise turned out and I thought a router would go better.

Stacey wrote:

If your tools are sharp, soft maple should be no problem...
Clamp a short straightedge to the router base. Cut mortise. What could be simpler? Use a router bit that is the width of the mortise. Let the mortise go through on one edge (bottom of rail) so you do not have to plunge the bit in. Take small cuts. Good luck.
Or find a buddy with a Shopsmith. It makes a good horizontal boring jig.

JIg at the http://www.patwarner.com/tenonmaker.html can be used with edge guide and plunge bit to produce end morticing. Has no length limitations. But why bother if you can more easily produce the tenon? rtmn