Electrical connection from ceiling

Page 2 of 2
Get ready for sticker shock on the 50 amp twist lock!!! Pete Stanaitis -------------------
Mike Dembroge wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 01:45:05 GMT, "Mike Dembroge"

If you strike out, try Hubbell. I had 50A / 220V 4-pin twist locks in amplifier and dimmer racks for power distribution. Cable end and surface mount were available.
Bring plenty of money.
Mike Dembroge wrote: > What is the best way to make an electrical connection froma ceiling mounted > outlet to machinery that is located in the center of a shop? I have a large > planer that is going into the center of my shop and need to run power to it > from above. There is a metal beam 11 feet from the floor in the area and > I've attached a piece of unistrut to this beam to extend over the planer. > > I'm thinking of a whip and a "chinese finger" or some such, but I'm not sure > what they're officially called. I've googled and looked at the grainger > catalog, but haven't found what I'm looking for yet.
Go to your handy dandy electrical wholesaler.
You want to get a fitting with a loop that fits into the Unistrut.
This is the point that will support the weight of the hanging cable.
Next you want a Kellums type cable grip that will grab the cable and hook into the Unistrut fitting, leaving about a 2 ft pigtail where you will attach a plug that will plug into the ceiling receptacle.
Doubt you will find any of this at Grainger or McMaster-Carr.
They are strictly an industrial electrical distributor items.
Lew
Thank you Mr. Hodgett, this helps me a lot.
Mike

Mike Dembroge wrote:
> Thank you Mr. Hodgett, this helps me a lot.
"Mr" was my father, I'm "Lew"
Glad to be of help.
Lew
Thanks Lew!

Well, it's all done and working fine now. I spoke with the electrician and he told me what to get. I ran the EMT and wires and he hooked everything up. It's hard-wired, so I'll have to use the circuit-breaker to shut off the power, but the panel box is within view of the machine and it's not like a table saw where you're putting your hands inside too often. Plus, there is a safety switch attached to the hood, so when it's opened up, no power.
The run is almost exactly 100', so it took a bit of wire. All 6ga with the ground being 10ga. Liquiflex from the overhead box to the machine and it's all working fine. I'm going to bolt a piece of EMT to the planer along the cord for 4-5 feet and tie the liquiflex to it for protection.
The electrician was really cool and did this on his lunch break for me. he also let me use his company tubing bender each night, so I gave him $200 and lunch for his time and help.
Thanks to everyone for the help (Lew & dpb). I appreciate it.
Mike