economics of wipe on poly

anybody got an idea of the fomula for the minwax wipe on poly -- I understand, in general that it is "regular" poly mixed with some kind of thinner -- at ~$13QT vice ~8Qt for the full strength stuff, seems it might be time for some homebrew.
I expect the usual answer will be to mix some up and see what works best for me -- kinda hoping someone has already done that and has some experience to share.
Speaking of thinners -- any insight on whether to use -- turpintine, paint thinner or mineral spirits ? Checked the back of the cans -- and I think I know what turpintine is -- but the paint thinner ~$2QT and mineral spirits ~3QT has me confused. Both claim to have petroleum distillates and one is photo reactive, the other not. Both claim to be useful as thinners -- the brand at lowe's claimed paint thinner as the "most used" to thin oil based finished while mineral spirits was "often used"
Cheers
For the projects I use Minwax poly on I but the regular poly and mix it about 25% with mineral spirits. Takes a few more coats but no drips, runs or brush marks. Also doesn't have that plastic look that the thicker poly leaves.
--
Mike S.
Cape Girardeau, Mo.

Thinner and mineral spirits are both use for the same can of stuff in some groups. Naptha can also be used with the advantage of faster drying.
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 20:01:11 -0500, "Sam the Cat"

I go 50/50 with the high resin Minwax poly and Mineral Spirits. It takes forever to build up the finish but it is fool proof.
I did a mahogany ply and hard edge table top for a secratery desk with spindly little Hepplewith legs that my two teen daughters use as their computer table. Two years of extreme abuse and I can still buff it with a little wax and it looks like Ben Franklin should be sitting at the thing writting something much wittier than this.
BW