snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com wrote:

It just might be he only ships via UPS, their broker-rate to ship north tells me they don't want to do it. The Postal rate is quite cheap
However, there is a dodge that many eBay sellers are using, sell the item really cheap and make the profit on shipping/handling. Since eBay charges by sales price, with no charge for handling fees
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org

Like that clown selling a computer lessons CD for FREE... $ 6.95 US for S&H.
You'd be paying him for a CD which has nothing but advertising of his products.
Nose-hair trimmer, and cordless drill. $19.95. $29.95 S&H
yea, the shipping scame is pretty common, and cheap as hell. If i see a seller who is going nuts with the shipping, i always send them an email asking them if they made a mistake and mean 5.00 for shipping instead of 50.00, etc etc, or something along those lines to try and piss them off.
On 6 Jan 2006 13:26:16 -0800, canadian snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

The seller Dave was pointing to isn't exactly scamming on shipping.
He is offering $7.95 flat rate shipping, and offers to combine auctions for one shipping charge. He has 767 items currently for sale. The seller has a 5000+ 99.9% positive feedback rating.
That's a scam? Have you priced actual packaging and shipping charges, including pickup fees or gas to get to the shipper lately? How about time? Is yours free?
If I order just this one item from Grizzly via Amazon, it's $7.95 + $7.70 for shipping, or I can buy a 12 oz. can of Boeshield locally for about $15 + sales tax. $7.95 for a 4 oz. can of Boeshield, and paying shipping on the one item simply dosen't make economic sense if you're looking for a deal.
The boating supplier Dave mentions probably is using it as a loss-leader special to attract other sales, as they're probably losing a few cents on it if you order nothing else.
Now if Dave would share the name of the boating supplier... <G>
Ba r r y wrote:

I can do that. and the name of the boating supplier is...
bettersailing.com
I meant to order just one or two cans but ended up adding a silicone free dry lubricant as well, about $17/can.
dave
Ba r r y wrote:

(I guess I accidently cleared out the subject on the previous post)
I can do that. and the name of the boating supplier is...
bettersailing.com
I meant to order just one or two cans but ended up adding a silicone free dry lubricant as well, about $17/can.
dave
Ba r r y wrote:

heads up: I never received my order from them. turns out they never filled the order, so I canceled it today. Flakes!
Dave

I've gotten a number of complaints like that because I (like everyone else on eBay) charge about $5 handling. It takes time to pack it up and ship it. Beats the heck out of me why they complain, when all they have to do is bid accordingly, or not bid at all. One guy won the auction and then demanded I reduce the shipping; like he is somehow special. I told him to forget about it and I sold it to the next bidder.

Well, why don't you break it down altogether: $6 house payment, $2 mortgage interest, $3.50 gas, 75 electricity, 50 tape, etc. Those are all rents that should be in the base price of the product, just like the raw materials and the machinery is to a manufacturer.
It's unethical, in my opinion to break out a separate (additional) charge for "handling" when that cost should be a part of the cost of the product. It represents pure profit, so far as I'm concerned, just like extended warranties, just because someone wants to maintain a price point to make a sale. It belongs in the price.

No problem. I won't be bidding on yours. I sure do retain the right to bitch about it, though.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

like the phone company? $7 for this fee, $3.75 for that fee, ad inifinitum, when all the fees are is part of the base charge anyway.

Charge what ever you want for shipping an handling! Just be up front about it and I will decide if the total price is in line. I refuse to bid if the shipping and handling is not shown. My neighbor "won" an auction on Ebay lately. He sent an e-mail for a request for shipping charges before he bid. After the bid was done the seller sent him a e-mail for the total, with shipping, and HANDLING! The shipping was as quoted, but the added handling charge was more than the shipping. It was a small item, but with all the charges it was more than he would have wanted bid/pay for the item. Greg

I always ask for shipping And handling, though frequently I'll pass an auction that does not quote S&H or provide a calculator.
Greg O wrote:

I agree, if the S/H charges are listed, or seller states he won't charge a handling fee, it's possible to figure out what your max bid will be. It's a feature.
Can any sellers say whether Ebay charges extra to have the shipping calculator on your page?
er
--
email not valid

"Can any sellers say whether Ebay charges extra to have the shipping calculator on your page? "
IIRC Ebay does not charge to have the shipping calculator. They also allow the seller to add a handling fee in the calculation and that fee doesn't appear separately in the calculated shipping cost the buyer sees.
It is wrong in my opinion to fault a seller for adding a REASONABLE charge for packing materials into the equation.
"Can any sellers say whether Ebay charges extra to have the shipping calculator on your page? "
IIRC Ebay does not charge to have the shipping calculator. They also allow the seller to add a handling fee in the calculation and that fee doesn't appear separately in the calculated shipping cost the buyer sees.
It is wrong in my opinion to fault a seller for adding a REASONABLE charge for packing materials into the equation.
"Can any sellers say whether Ebay charges extra to have the shipping calculator on your page? "
IIRC Ebay does not charge to have the shipping calculator. They also allow the seller to add a handling fee in the calculation and that fee doesn't appear separately in the calculated shipping cost the buyer sees.
It is wrong in my opinion to fault a seller for adding a REASONABLE charge for packing materials into the equation.

And no reasonable person would dispute this. But reasonable charge is not what this thread is about.