Ebay Mavens?

Page 3 of 3
Disclaimer: The following has been posted correctly and not top posted like some big pants AutoCAD know-it-all.
Phil Crow wrote:

Well, when it comes to the buyer, he/she couldn't give a rat's rosy, rancid, red rectum what the seller wants. As a seller I understand it.

Well, if you want more money then you should find an alternative to eBay. I'm not sure where you were going with the latter point.

How has altruism worked it's way in here? As a buyer I want to buy it cheap. As a seller I want to make loads of cash. But in the long run I accept things for what they are. I'm not sure that makes me altruistic.
UA100
brought forth from the murky depths:

Which software snipe did you buy and why? I usually don't bid until the last day (with a low amount) or at the last hour. Sniping software would allow me to do better and to get those early morning east-coaster auctions.
----------------------------------------- Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician! http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design ================================================
Larry Jaques wrote:

Buy? I didn't. I use the free stuff. Why? Onna 'count of I'm a bottom feeder.
UA100
brought forth from the murky depths:

The software's free but it's a per-per-snipe deal, right? You pay a small fee for each one you win?
-- If it weren't for jumping to conclusions some of us wouldn't get any exercise. www.diversify.com - Jump-free website programming
Larry Jaques wrote:

Nope.
Nope Part II.
UA100
Larry Jaques wrote:

Frankly, I didn't know that this software even existed. I do my own sniping. I never bid on an item until there was about 90 seconds left in the auction, and even then I posted a bid that would beat the current bid, plus maybe 20%. This is assuming that I would still be getting a bargain after I added in shipping. If not, I just buy locally (assuming it's an available item). I never get caught up in the heat of the moment.... it's a sure way to screw yourself.
I didn't always snipe. In an early experience last year during hurricane season I followed an auction for a Generac 7500 watt electric start generator, available at the local borg for $900 or a $1000 (I don't remember precisely). I knew for a fact they still had them in stock. I entered the bidding on Ebay at about $550 with a max bid of $700 (remember, I still would have to add shipping to this heavy item). I was easily beaten out, but it was an education. All my early bid did was run up the bill for all. Then I watched in amazement as the bloodlust took over: the winner paid $1300 BEFORE the shipping was added. OUCH!
That's when I formulated my current rules, which have been fairly successful for me.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

As a buyer on eBay, you have to be smart. Know what things are worth, know what your max that you would be willing to pay to still get a good deal and know when the best times to bid! Bid on an item saturdays, sundays or evenings and you will be bidding with the majority of the world. ( This is why I list stuff to end on sunday evenings! ) Bid during most peoples business hours or in the middle of the night and you have increased your chances of winning when bidding the end of that auction.
As a seller, bring on the snipers, bring on the newbies, bring on the misinformed. Drive that bid up! eBay doesn't mind as they make a bigger chunk too! List stuff to end on sunday evenings. I list late because it falls in the 5 hour window but I catch most of the west coast crowd to keep shipping costs down. ( I live on the left coast. ) Sunday, everybody is done with their church, done with their weekend playing and are slowing down to get ready for the work week. A little relaxation time in front of the computer and time to bid. ( Of course most women you can target in the middle of the week. When they can spend while the hubby's are out earning. )
I have almost 1500 positive feedbacks and over 2200 transactions. I find stuff that I can't find locally or by mail order / online. I sell stuff to feed my various hobbies. These days, if I see something that I really want, I don't bid. I book mark it ( save to favorites ) and check it on the last day. This way, I don't add to the "frenzy" of bidding. If I'm not awake or around for the end of the auction, I'll automatically bid ( snipe. ) If I lose, I really don't care. eBay is huge! Another item will come along. I'm never in any rush that I have to have this item "right now!"
If I were to pass along one tidbit of advise, it would be to expect the worst. Most of the time you are looking at somebody's crappy picture. The sellers description in his mind might not be what's in your mind. If you expect the worst and or problems, when your item shows up and it is better than what you had in your mind, be pleasantly suprised. What did you want? You're buying something that someone else didn't want! It's all part of playing the eBay game!

Yowser's -- how long's it take to create 120 eBay IDs to give yourself all of that positive feedback?
http://media.guardian.co.uk/mediaguardian/story/0,7558,1153699,00.html
I mean, I got some extensive extended-family relatives to draw on, but not that many!
Give it up! What's the trick???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryB249&item#81498339
I managed to drum up 350 folks to leave me feedback. Takes a while, but gets the job done. :)
GTO(John)
GTO69RA4 wrote:

I managed 1464. http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=mnsmith
Nice IR OS. I'm going to have to watch that auction. ( You didn't think I made all that feedback by selling, did you? )
Hmmm. The GPS looks like more fun. A bidding I will go...........

Always the finest of stuff. I'm in the perpetual cleanout mode with all the stuff that's followed me home from various sources. Probably would be a lot easier if I just stopped collecting this hardware in the first place. You know you're in trouble when your ratholes dissapear because of what's surrounding them. Who wants a router crafter?
GTO(John)
mttt wrote:

Well, PURPLE!!!, of course.
UA100

Hey Keith, did those parts I was a month late in sending get there in the end? I have these visions of a mail sorter with an 8" Delta being overjoyed at what he took home that day.
GTO(John)

A'yup.
UA100

Make sure everything is spelled properly. No, this isn't a grammar snob, but I just saw a report on TV that there are companies in the business of finding misspelled items on Ebay, buying them, and selling them at higher value.
Why can they sell it higher? Because the item had few if any bids on it in the first place, because the search engine didn't bring up their item because of the misspelling.
I guess "Chandelier" is one they said is often misspelled.