Dyeing/Staining Maple

Any tips for darkening Hard Maple to an almost "Dard Fumed Oak" color with analine dyes?
I've tried my Alcohol based Transtint and it still is splotchy. I tried some water based JE Moser, no splotches but it looks so dead, so *flat*. I combined the two and its a little better.
I'm going to try a Gel Stain over the dye tonight and see if that helps.
I haven't tried conditioner yet. I've got some, just haven't gotten around to a test strip.
I sanded to 220 - should I have backed off to 120/150 or so?
I used Maple because that's what I had lying around. Had I know "she" wanted it dark, I probably would'a picked something else.
Anyone have some tiplets(R) for coloring hard maple they can share?
Thanks!
I have a solution for you Patrick. I haven't checked the thread to see other answers, so if this has been said before, so be it.
Spray light dry coats of WATER based dye (more permanent) using a .036 or smaller tip. IF you don't get the wood soaked, there will be ZERO splotching. "I guarrantee it" (Men's Warehouse) It's fast, and it's foolproof as long as you spray many dry coats to bring up the color. The dye needs to quite dark when mixed, as it goes on very lightly, when applied correctly.
Dave
Patrick Conroy wrote:

I hit send by mistake. One additional comment: if applied properly, you can respray an area in less than a minute.
Dave
Patrick Conroy wrote:
As David said and do not tough the surface until it is dried. JG
David wrote:

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:30:46 GMT, Patrick Conroy

A little unsolicited, but staining maple dark is almost a crime, IMO. Perhaps you could sand a bit to 1500 grit, put a nice coating of shellac on it, and show it to "her" to change her mind? Few woods polish up so nicely, and the grain is almost always so superb....
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:30:46 GMT, the inscrutable Patrick Conroy

Just Say No! and DON'T! would be my tips, but you already knew that.
P.S: You misspelled "discoloring" there.
--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day -- http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.
I believe you are looking at a "toner" compared to a stain or dye. Maple is not going to accept much stain or dye, so your next choice to cover the surface with whatever color you need. Spraying is gonna be the choice of finishing here.
read up:
http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/eamaple.htm
Patrick Conroy wrote:

Pat I've had NO problem dyeing maple, using water based dyes, applied by spraying. I'm confused by your post, since you both said spraying is the choice of finishing, yet you say that maple won't accept dye. ??
Dave
Pat Barber wrote:

Sorry... spraying a dye is "toning" after a fashion. You are "coating" rather than actually making the stain or dye go into the wood. This is the way I believe you can change the colors on hard maple.
I don't think you would have much luck mixing a dye or stain solution and brushing it on a piece of maple and expect it to "soak in". This can be done with many other woods, just not a tight grained wood like maple.
David wrote:

results.
I like dye on maple, browns, with maybe a touch of red, or orange really look good.
I wipe them on, dissolving in alcohol.

Thanks for the tips all! I appreciate the disdainful comments too.
I had no idea that (dis)coloring maple was akin to staining cherry. I had it more to the right of "painting poplar".

Even Larry doesn't believe everything he writes. And he's not your customer, when the day is over.
But pale blonde shellac on maple can be really beautiful. Maybe a sample piece, possibly a jewelry box, for her?
Patriarch
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 17:48:07 -0500, the inscrutable Patriarch

Jewelcome.
I don't? Gee, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the tip. ;)

That's true enough.

There ya go.
--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day -- http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.
"Patriarch" wrote in message