Dust Collector Bag

I have a Delta Dust Collector with a cloth filter bag and a plastic chip collector bag.

When the chip collector bag gets full I empty it and also shake out the cloth bag. Is there a better way to clean the cloth bag? Can they be washed? How ofter should they be replaced? Russ

Reply to
Russ Stanton

Is the DC inside the shop, or outside? Except for emptying it when necessary, I'd leave the cloth bag alone, especially if it's inside the shop. The dust cake that develops helps to filter out a lot of the smaller particles of dust from the air exiting the DC bag. Sure, you can wash them, but why? I might replace the bag when my repairs start needing repairs, but that's me. Tom

Reply to
tom

I also have a Delta DC, and I added a cyclone lid to a 30 gallon garbage can just before the DC input. The lid was about $30, same for the metal can. I hardly ever empty the chip catcher at all, except when I forget to empty the garbage can. That usually happens about

10 boards into a new project. Otherwise, I never touch the chip collector, and I have not even looked at the bag in 2 years.

My guess is that unless the DC is not pumping air thru the bag, leave it alone, the fine dust is just helping the filtering. Hope this helps.....

Reply to
cwo4cno7325

I agree totally with the cyclone.. Mine is a fiber 50 gal. drum with plywood lid and as long as I keep it less than

3/4 full, it pretty much traps everything but fine dust..

Not sure about the Delta DC, but on my HF unit, the top bag deflates when the power is cut, which seems to make what dust is coating the bag fall into the bottom bag.. Moved to the new place in October of 06 and haven't had to empty the bag.. It feels like it might have almost a pound of dust in it, though the cyclone barrel gets emptied often..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I have a second drum in the chain and it seems to catch the fine dust really well. I've been using the double-barrel approach for over six years now and the DC collection bag is still empty (now dirtier on the outside than on the inside). :)

The DC itself is the cheap HF 1-1/2 hp unit and my lids are the larger LV clear separator lids. Adding the second drum hasn't seemed to have significantly reduced the suck power of the DC. I'm a happy camper.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

That sounds like a great idea. I really don't like having to empty the bags, it always seems to require that third thumb to hold things in place.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

That, or get 3-4 3/4" rare earth magnets to stick over the bag to hold it in place while you put the strap on.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

The Delta I have, that started this thread has three springy clips that hold the bag in place until you get the band clamp on the bag.

I appreciate the other comments and will leave the upper bag al>

Reply to
Russ Stanton

Interesting idea, Morris, but not only overkill for my use (mostly turning) but I can't spare the shop space.. There's just never is enough room, I guess..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Might be easier to roll the cyclone around... My barrel/drum is about 20 feet away from the DC..

I have a weird setup, I guess... The front wall of the shop has two large windows with a 2' space between them, so I have the DC in one corner and the cyclone in the other, near the lathes and bandsaw, to avoid blocking the windows..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

That, sir, is a tip I can use. Thank you!

Reply to
Robatoy

Do you have any pictures, or could you point to some on the web?

Could it be as simple as applying some foam weather stripping around the container?

Reply to
-MIKE-

I have the same Delta DC and would like to keep the DC. However, I have a problem other owners may encounter. When you attached the plastic bag to the three clips and attached the steel band, the steel band does not seal the plastic bag tightly. Fine dust escape from the unseal sections of the plastic bag. If you tighten by adjusting the steel band, it will collapse the steel rim. I too would like replacing the lower plastic bag with a more simple disposal container, any suggest?

Thanks

Reply to
WD

That is a good tip. Last time I put the bag on the DC I could use an extra hand!

Reply to
Phisherman

For sure. I love a good idea.. anybody's.

Reply to
Robatoy

I bought a bag full of magnets and I also use them to hold dc bags.

Be aware that the rare earth guys are quite small and flat. They can be a real bear to peel off of a dc unit once they are in place.

Here is a slightly better choice with a little handle...

wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Living LARGE.....

But you're right. Those wee ones are harder to get off than dogsnot off a screen door.

Reply to
Robatoy

And they can be colour coordinated. Could you ask for any more?

Reply to
Upscale

They'll match up lovely with my plaid Speedos

Reply to
Robatoy

You just had to go and put that image in my head didn't you?

(must look away, must look away...... Arghggggggghhhhhhhh.........)

Reply to
Upscale