dust collection ducting

Page 2 of 5  

wrote:

Was it, or did you just not understand it? Please give the exact percentage chance for the said bucket of water bursting into flames.
--
If at first you don't succeed, you're not cut out for skydiving



Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I'd settle for a reasonable estimate. I'd bet a large amount of money the answer will have "zero" as part of it: "approaches zero," "nearly zero," "greater than zero, but..." are probabilities that come immediately to mind.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:37:15 +0000, LRod

you could get that bucket of water to make quite a nice big 'ol explosion- but you'll have to crack the oxygen from the hydrogen first. if you can do that in your garage, then I'm really happy I don't live next door to you.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yea, but then it wouldn't be water anymore.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
THAT is an accurate way of expressing it. Finally.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The point is, bonehead, that the "bucket of water" example has nothing whatsoever to do with woodworking, dust collection, dust explosions, or anything else even remotely relevant.
Obviously, I cannot state, with certainty, the chances of anything bursting into flame. Nor can you. Conversely, you cannot state, with certainty, that something will "never" burst into flame. It's not a question of flammability but of precision in meaning.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Apparently, bonehead, you think that the laws of physics are just suggestions. There are all sorts of certainties. Water not bursting into flame in your shop is one of them.
If you don't get the connection of that illustration to woodworking and the myth of the exploding home shop dust collection system, then you are apparently just skimming the posts to find something to argue about.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Exactly which "laws of physics" cover flaming buckets of water? Can you name one or provide a citation ?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Water doesn't burn. Look it up.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Who are you talking to? There's this really cool thing called "including enough context so people can follow the conversation".
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

And AOL thinks it's a good thing that people today are developing more of a chat room mentality and less of the type of dialog that usenet was built on.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I believe that he is talking to me.
--
If at first you don't succeed, you're not cut out for skydiving


"Dave Hinz" < snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net> wrote in message
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Hey Gus - include the text you're replying to will ya? It's impossible to follow who you are replying to when you cut the original text and just post your reply. Most people do not keep the entire thread tree visible in their newsreaders and without that there's no way to know who you're speaking to. In fact, it can really make it difficult to understand the context of a reply.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yeah, I tried too, but he seemed not to get the hint.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Sorry boys, the old quote button was malfunctioning.
I must have violated one of them thar "laws of physics" that LRod is always prattling on about.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

C'mon Gus - none of that stuff now. Hell, there's been enough of folks taking shots at other folks in replies to others lately. Most unpleasant. A good shot should always be thrown directly - it says so right in the hand book. Anyway - thanks for including the text.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Starting off with name calling I see. That just shows the strength (or lack of) of your argument. Like I said, you simply don't understand. The point is GUS, that there are some things that can be said with 100% certainty and the bucket of water was an example. Unless the laws of physics are different in your world, water in its liquid state cannot burn so there is a 100% certanity that a bucket of water sitting in your garage WILL NOT burst into flames.

Sure I can. If you actually studied a few facts, you could as well.

I guess that the laws of physics don't apply in your world or are you trying to justify this crap with the chaos theory of variables. The fact is that many of these variables are so rare that they become statistically insignificant and are treated as non-existent. Simple facts say clearly that a bucket of WATER will never burst into flames and if something were to contaminate it and make it flammable, then it is no longer just a bucket of water now, is it? The same can be said for explosions in a home shop dust collection system. The mixture and conditions simply are not there to cause an explosion and if you introduce variables that don't exist in a normal home shop, then you are not dealing with a home shop dust collection system anymore.
--
If at first you don't succeed, you're not cut out for skydiving



Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
TBone wrote:

I sure wish you and/or LRod would elaborate on these "Laws of Physics" you're always quoting with such alacrity.
There's all kinds of them, you know, conservation of mass, conservation of energy.....do a little fact checking yourself, TBone.
Homer
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Actually, that is not precisely true. Probability theory comprehends the fact that there are events for which the probability of occurence is exactly zero as well as events for which the probability of occurence is exactly 1. In the case of what you are citing above, one can, with absolute certainty state that the probability of a container of helium bursting into a chemical flame is exactly zero since helium is an inert gas and will not combine with oxygen to combust. Another example of absolute certainty: conservation of mass in chemical reactions. These are events for which the probabilities don't approach zero or approach one, they can be stated as being identically equal to zero or one.
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mark & Juanita wrote:

You could say "empirical evidence suggests it won't happen" or "experience shows us it won't happen".
Stating a probability as exactly identical to zero is inherently incorrect.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.