Duplicating a bookcase I owned in Japan 20 years ago

Picture a 6 foot wide bookcase. Now take two "same-height" 2-foot wide cases. Put them on the same track sliding in front of the back one and you've got the case I want to build. Alas, I moved out of Japan back to the USA 18 years ago and never thought to examine or sketch the mechanism.
I have no problem doing the woodwork but I can't find the hardware I'd need to make the front cases slide easily IIRC there were two parallel "brass" tracks, each no bigger than 1/4" wide set into the pedestal and something behind an apron on the top that supported the sliding cases.
TIA Norm
Cam followers come to mind, some up, some down, running on a metal tracks, captured. Haven't done it, so.......