Drilling through glass

I hope this is the appropriate news group; if not, my apologies for inadvertant spam.
Is there a technique for drilling a hole (1/4" to 1/2") through a pane of window glass, perhaps using a drill press?
TIA
Regards, Irwin http://members.aol.com/midimusic
On 25-May-2004, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Irwin Schwartz) wrote:

Diamond drill bit.
Google is your friend: <http://www.artglass1.com/diamond-tools-drills.htm among others. Diamond drill bits are available at the borg.
Mike
Regardless the technique you ultimately find, be sure the glass is not tempered. AFAIK, altering a tempered sheet of glass (in any way) will at best weaken it, and at worst shatter it during the attempt.
/rick.

diamond core drill, drilled under water. go very slowly. tap the bit on the glass, don't drill more than a few seconds without lifting the bit.
and drilling tempered glass is a sure way to get explosive decomposition.
you could also sand blast it, which would be faster and less likely to break the pane of glass.
regards, charlie cave creek, az
"RickS" <rick --dot-- s --at-- comcast.net> wrote in message

Brass tube and abrasive paste.

A 1/4 inch blunt brass rod or hardwood dowel, oil and grinding compound in a slow turning drill of any type will quickly make the hole. Use only slight pressure against the glass and turn the rod slowly, stop often to check for heating. Make a test hole in a glass bottle first to get some experience. As stated in another reply, Do not try to scratch or drill tempered glass. It is under constant stress and will shatter. Most glass doors are tempered glass as well as all side and rear newer car windows. Tempering is a safety feature causing the glass to shatter on impact into tiny fragments rather than to break into dangerous sharp and pointed larger shards . Diamond bits will make the hole, however if a tapered bit binds or too much pressure is placed at a point and not supported properly, it will cause cracking or breakage.
--
Chipper Wood

useours, yours won't work
Others have offered good suggestions on drilling with metal rod, abrasive and oil. If you want the hole as large as 1/2" i would suggest that you use brass tubing rather than rod. The total material removal is much less. I have made 1" diameter holes through 1'thick glass this way.
Dick

I've seen bits at the local Hone Despot claiming what you are asking. I used a 1/4" years back with success.
Good Luck, Cheers.

Thank you all for your excellent advice.
Irwin
Copper or brass tubing, used with lapping compound & light oil. SLOW speed, & light pressure, back off frequently.
Irwin Schwartz wrote:

Get the right DRILL BIT and it is not all that hard. Drill press is NICE, but not essential. Glass drills I have seen have what looks like a spear blade on the end, likely CARBIDE or Diamond edged
How about doing a Google Search for "Drill and Glass"
John On 25 May 2004 20:12:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Irwin Schwartz) wrote:

Harbor Freight has a set for $9.99, part # 42829-OVGA
John
On 25 May 2004 20:12:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Irwin Schwartz) wrote:

Big Dog bits. Drill through anything.

This was a hell of a good thread you guys. Thanks. I learned a lot!!
Eric

Irwin Schwartz wrote:

In addition to what others have said, you could make a ring out of modeling clay and put it around the hole to act like a little dam to hold the oil or water in the area of the hole. It beats the mess you'd get from trying to apply it with a squirt bottle.
-Rick