Drilling through glass

I hope this is the appropriate news group; if not, my apologies for inadvertant spam.

Is there a technique for drilling a hole (1/4" to 1/2") through a pane of window glass, perhaps using a drill press?

TIA

Regards, Irwin

Irwin Schwartz

Diamond drill bit.

Google is your friend: among others. Diamond drill bits are available at the borg.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Regardless the technique you ultimately find, be sure the glass is not tempered. AFAIK, altering a tempered sheet of glass (in any way) will at best weaken it, and at worst shatter it during the attempt.

/rick.

Reply to
RickS

A 1/4 inch blunt brass rod or hardwood dowel, oil and grinding compound in a slow turning drill of any type will quickly make the hole. Use only slight pressure against the glass and turn the rod slowly, stop often to check for heating. Make a test hole in a glass bottle first to get some experience. As stated in another reply, Do not try to scratch or drill tempered glass. It is under constant stress and will shatter. Most glass doors are tempered glass as well as all side and rear newer car windows. Tempering is a safety feature causing the glass to shatter on impact into tiny fragments rather than to break into dangerous sharp and pointed larger shards . Diamond bits will make the hole, however if a tapered bit binds or too much pressure is placed at a point and not supported properly, it will cause cracking or breakage.

Reply to
Chipper Wood

diamond core drill, drilled under water. go very slowly. tap the bit on the glass, don't drill more than a few seconds without lifting the bit.

and drilling tempered glass is a sure way to get explosive decomposition.

you could also sand blast it, which would be faster and less likely to break the pane of glass.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I've seen bits at the local Hone Despot claiming what you are asking. I used a 1/4" years back with success.

Good Luck, Cheers.

Reply to
Jack Kerouac

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Thank you all for your excellent advice.

Irwin

Reply to
Irwin Schwartz

Others have offered good suggestions on drilling with metal rod, abrasive and oil. If you want the hole as large as 1/2" i would suggest that you use brass tubing rather than rod. The total material removal is much less. I have made 1" diameter holes through 1'thick glass this way.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

Get the right DRILL BIT and it is not all that hard. Drill press is NICE, but not essential. Glass drills I have seen have what looks like a spear blade on the end, likely CARBIDE or Diamond edged

How about do>I hope this is the appropriate news group; if not, my apologies for inadvertant >spam. >

Reply to
John

Harbor Freight has a set for $9.99, part # 42829-OVGA

John

Reply to
John

Brass tube and abrasive paste.

Reply to
CW

Big Dog bits. Drill through anything.

Reply to
bob

modeling clay and put it around the hole to act like a little dam to hold the oil or water in the area of the hole. It beats the mess you'd get from trying to apply it with a squirt bottle.

-Rick

Reply to
Rick Nelson

This was a hell of a good thread you guys. Thanks. I learned a lot!!

Eric

Reply to
Eric Anderson