drill press switch

The off switch on my Delta drill press sticks when I push it....before I buy a new one, should I try spraying some WD-40 or something else on it? Or might that damage the switch?... Thanks...Eric

Jim

I know this because I used to make carbon arcs out of pencils when I was a kid.
The Jim entity posted thusly:

Or maybe just stuff it full of tinfoil and bit of wire.
Jeez!
Replace the switch, you might spray yourself in the eye....
Seriously, what have you got to lose if it messes the switch up and you have to buy a new one? At least you tried to fix it first.
snipped-for-privacy@aolnojunk.com wrote:

Not to long ago mine started acting up, a short time later it burnt up, actually just melted a connector, go ahead and order one now so you will have it.
--
Paul O.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

I had the same problem with mine and I was able to take it apart and fix it. I don't recall exactly what the problem was (it was a while ago), but it was obvious, once you got it apart, what was wrong.
To reply by e-mail, use jcarlson631 at yahoo dot com
John
snipped-for-privacy@aolnojunk.com wrote:

WD-40 will work well; just let it dry or shake/blow out any excess before you use it to avoid arccing.
Do NOT use graphite: It'll coat the insides semi-permanently and unreliably.
Best would be tuner cleaner if you can find it, but I've used WD-40 with good results many times on everything from 220V to stereo switches.
HTH, Pop

I believe this is still readily available from Radio Shack.
IF you have some WD-40 sitting around I'd use that. Spray it on and then work the switch with the power off until it loosens up. I've also found that silicon spray works well for switches and that's what I usually use.