drill press on a mobile base?

I would like to put my 16 inch Delta Floor drill press on a mobile base, but I am concerned about stablility.

Anyone doing this now? Does it stay put? Any weird vibrations pop up?

How hard is it to move when it is in a mobile base? seems to me like it could tip over.

Anyone ever try adding any weights to the base, for extra stability?

Thanks!

-Dan

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

I put a mobile base on my drillpress just a few weeks ago. Instead of sizing the base to fit the footprint of the drillpress, I took some

3/4 ply and attached a 2x2 piece under the DP. Put that in the mobile base and it seems to be fairly stable so far. Given that it's only been a few weeks, YMMV. I still take it slow and easy moving it around just in case. HTH Cheers, cc
Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I've got my Delta 16 on a Delta base and it's great. It's better than just having the Delta sit there on the floor with nothing mounted to it. I used the adjustable Delta base and sized it a couple inches larger in each dimension than the instructions for the DP suggest. It doesn't vibrate. I used two pieces of 3/4 ply for the base plate. Very stable. Some folks think it's scary to put a DP on a mobile base; I feel it's scary to leave it sitting around with nothing mounted to the base. Don't need a stinkin' weights! :) Try it; you'll like it.

dave

Dan Valleskey wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I have a Jet 17" drill press mounted on a Jet mobile base made specifically for it (not the multi-tool adjustable kind). I've had no problems moving it around without tipping nor with using it and keeping it still.

DW

Reply to
Denver Woody

I have a 14" DP on a $18 Homier Tools base. I put pieces of 2x8 across the frame and mounted the DP to it. Very stable. I don't move it often but it is simple when I do.

BTW The mobile base from Homier is the best thing they sell.

Reply to
rllipham

I installed mine on a cheapo three-wheel universal base (it has metal corner brackets and you supply hardwood connectors). It's pretty stable when set flat on the floor, but since it is on three wheels it's kind of tippy when I move it. I find that it's best to grab it by the motor housing when manoeuvering it around and then to raise the swivel wheel immediately after moving it.

Reply to
tastbits