Drill Press Base?

Just curious, but does anyone know why drill press bases are so odd shapped? There are two slots in the base? Is this so the bolts are fixed and the base can be moved back an forth?

Thanks, BC

Reply to
Bucky_IL

So you can clamp vises, etc; to the table.

See

Bruce Barnett

They allow a lot of latitude for mounting. Not every drill press is mounted on a bench or the floor for starters. I've seen them attached to machines being repaired, etc.

The other situation is clamping. There are times the table is turned aside and the work is mounted on the base. The slots allow for using hold downs on the work.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm actually talking about the what the drill press sits on. If you look at this picture you can see the bottom has two slots (looks almost like a T). Are these used for clamps also?

Reply to
Bucky_IL

Should have put in the picture.

Bucky_IL

As Edwin said, it's for mounting fixtures, clamping parts, whatever you'd use the slots on the table for, you can use the slots in the base.

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports