Drill or Bore a deep hole

I need to drill a hole 1" in diameter through a 3" X 3" X 10" piece. It has to be close to center and 10" long. All my 1" bits are 5" or less in length. I know, I can drill it half way, then turn it over and drill it again, but I'd like to do it in one pass. I've got 20 or 30 of these to drill at the same time.

Drill bit extension? Part No. 33J04.45 http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pb137&cat=1,180,42240,45534,42240
Auger drill? http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pE003&cat=1,180,42240
On 6/28/2010 5:22 AM, billw wrote:

You can get spade and augur bits long enough to do what you need, or you can use an extension on one of your regular bits. If you take a look in the drill bit section at Home Depot or Lowes you'll probably find something suitable, if not then check <http://www.mcmaster.com and you'll find a variety of options.
"billw" wrote:

<snip> ------------------------------------ Classic application for a ship's auger.
Standard lengths are 12" & 18".
http://tinyurl.com/26vfbbx
Will get you to Jamestown Distributors.
Lew
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 04:19:25 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Too bad he didn't say he needed a 3/4" bit. A set of these set me back $12 on sale, and they've been put to good use occasionally. http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-18-inch-auger-bit-set-93892.html
-- The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. -- J. Arthur Thomson

http://www.tool-sale.com/neiko-model-10161-wood-boring-bit-set-p-1567.html
http://www.tool-sale.com/long-black-gold-inch-drill-bit-shank-p-5421.html
"Lobby Dosser" wrote:

-------------------------------- Neither of which will track worth a hoot to drill a hole centered in the piece.
Lew

Really? I've done it on a couple lamps. No problem. Guess it depends on the chuck and DP.
On 6/29/2010 2:10 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Depends on how "centered" it needs to be. Centered enough to take a close sliding fit shaft, no, close enough to pass a cord through, yes.
The requirement was for "close to center", not centered to NASA tolerances.

Straw man. The outside dimensions for the concrete foundations for Pad 39 were poured to 1" NASA tolerance. Not too shabby for a 390 ft hex.

As others have said, a ship's auger (just a very long auger bit) can do it. You'll want to turn the bit slowly, compared to twist-drill speeds.
Is this a hole into end grain?
End grain won't feed very well, it might benefit from a hard push... maybe turn the work in a lathe and push in the auger by sliding the endstock?