Drill doctor question

Thinking about getting one. Will they sharpen brad point bits? It sez it sharpens "split point" bits. Not sure what a split point bit is. TIA. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

It won't do brad point bits, unfortunately.

Tom

"Slowhand"

Reply to
Tom Dacon

Hi SH,

I picked up the model 300 a few months back at HD on sale for $50. I couldn't pass it up. It does not sharpen BP bits but it does a great job on regular bits - of which I have hundreds from over the years.

I figured that if I could keep a normal bit really sharp (with a sharp point) I wouldn't care too much if it wasn't a BP. It does exactly what it advetizes. Even rusty (or broken) bits become like new - at least the "point" is. I had a couple 1/2 inch x 12 inch bits which were really dull and it sharpened them to like new - they were $15 or so each when I bought them. The bigger the bit, the longer it takes to sharpen - small ones about a minute, bigger ones a few minutes more. It's almost idiot proof.

It has more than paid for itself already. If you have a lot of bits, it's is definitely a good "investment" (this is what I call all my tool purchases to SWMBO)! Also saves trips to the HD when you break a bit. Mine does 3/16 through 1/2 inch. Other models are different. Wish it did the 1/8 th's which I seem to use & break a lot.

I saw split points advertized, but never used them. Although the DD will sharpen them, I think the "split" would be erased after a while.

Lou

In article , Slowhand

Reply to
loutent

"Slowhand"

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Typical twist drills are not split point. This is ad hype in any case as any drill grinder that does twist bits will do split points, though most will not grind the split.

Only regular (split point) bits.

Reply to
CW

"Slowhand"