Dremel/HB

HB sent me a coupon through email for a Dremel-like tool for $15.99 (half-price). It comes with 1/8" and 3/32" collets (I know at least one Dremel tool has 1/8" collets) so I expect that a lot of different tool-bits would be available. Although I do not have a specific use in mind at the moment, it seems like it might come in handy for smoothing sharp edges and "unanticipated" tasks like that.

What's the verdict: (1) useless, or redundant (could just use a file), (2) good value, (3) insist on Dremel?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

IMO, at under $20 (incl. tax), it's worth it to see if you need the tool. If you fabricate small parts, you'll probably find it is worth it. Keep in mind, no tool will do the work for you but it's possible that with a little finesse, many jobs can be made easier.

I have a bunch of them, Craftsman, Ryobi, and Dremel, and attachments (drill press, router base, etc.). For lots of tasks, they are indispensible.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

Thanks Ed, I sort of feel that way too. I''ll be surprised if I can go a whole year and not find a use for it! -Bill

Reply to
Bill

...well, *my* Dremel broke after a couple of years...and maybe two hours of use. I don't see how you can go wrong for 16 bux...heck, I'm on the way...

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

I have the Craftsman knock off of the RotoZip..sort of like a Dremel on HGH.

1/4" collet but I have 2-3 versions of the 1/4 to 1/8" adapter to take the 1/8" standard Dremel mandrels. Comes in handy often especially with the 2" cut off discs. I found the standard Dremel tools too wimpy
Reply to
Rudy

You probably already figured out that I abbreviate Harbor Freight as HB. I've done it before and I can't explain why. Probably should be HF.

Reply to
Bill

I've had a Dremel for about 25 years. It generally gets about ten minutes use every 5 to 7 years.

Reply to
CW

I'd go for anything *but* Dremel.

Reply to
dadiOH

A Dremel is one of those things that unless you're into power carving or the like you seldom use but when you do use it you're glad that you have it.

If you have a compressor though carefully consider HF's little micro die grinder

uses Dremel bits and works fine with Dremel collets, but not the accessories like the router base and whatnot. Using it, it works like a Dremel is _supposed_ to work and never did for me.

Being an air tool, if you take care of it it will likely last you forever unless you're beating the crap out of it every day.

With _any_ rotary tool wear good safety glasses or a face shield. They will occasionally break cutters and when they do you don't want one in your eye.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Thanks for clearing that up, Bill, here I thought you were talking about Home Bepot. . . :-)

Reply to
Robatoy

The micro die air grinder operates at almost twice the speed of a dremel. Many dremel bits and attachements become extremely dangerous at those speeds and may fly apart with great force and velocity without warning. Make sure any bits or attachements are rated for

56,000 RPM. Dremel tools are designed for 35,000 RPM max.

Full face shield and heavy gloves are a really good idea.

Reply to
salty

Very good advice. Thanks for that.

Robatoy

I thought about putting in that warning, but the safety equipment is the same regardless, and in practical experience I haven't had any Dremel accessories come apart with it. In any case the small diameter limits the velocity of the bits that come apart. I used to live in holy terror of Dremel bits attacking me but it turned out to be pretty much a non-issue.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I cut threaded rod more often than that. ;-) I burned up two of them (and fifteen of the carbide bits :-() removing grout from the bathroom walls in the last house. I wish there were an HF in town. $20 beats $75, twice.

Reply to
krw

I have a cordless RotoZip too. It's great for cutting holes in sheetrock and I've used the circle cutter a number of times. It didn't like the Hardi-backer dist much though. The bearings are pretty well shot. It looks like the Milti* tools are better at the things I use the RotoZip for so it'll likely not be replaced.

Reply to
krw

At that price, go for it. When I bought my Craftsman version of the Dremel years ago I had no specific purpose for one. But it keeps getting dug out of the tool box for small grinding, sanding, polishing, etc. jobs.

If this one craps out in a year or two, you'll know by then if you need a Dremel.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I've had my cordless Dremel 7 years and corded 20 years. Works just fine for everything I've thrown at it so far. Used the cordless earlier this year to wire up a friend's house for surround sound and networking. I have the drill press stand that I use for my scroll saw projects and find more uses for it all the time. The only thing I haven't liked is the sharpening attachment. It works "ok" to sharpen but takes longer due to it's smaller side. I've used it on the mower a couple of times but find it faster to use a regular grinder.

I also have a Craftsman roto-tool with a box full of attachments. It's been used a few times but none of the attachments and the diamond cutting wheel was not cheap. It's considerably heavier and larger than a Dremel making it awkward to use for some jobs. Compared to the Dremel, it gets used maybe 1 in 20 times. Maybe someday I'll try it's plunge router attachment.

`Casper

Reply to
Casper

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 06:12:26 -0500, the infamous "dadiOH" scrawled the following:

I've only used it a few times, but the $5 (yes, five bucks on sale) rotary tool kit from HF has worked fine for me...for tiny stuff. Those and Dremels are gutless little things.

-- Q: How many climate scientists does it take to change a light bulb?

A: None. There's a consensus that it's going to change, so they've decided to keep us in the dark.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I was given a cordless Dremel some years ago. The battery charge would last for a few minutes and then require two hours to charge. Then I bought one of the cheapo HF models but the power output was miserable. Finally ended up with a Sears corded model (on sale with no bits or attachments) and use it with the previous collections of bits. Works fine. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

While I was purchasing it, I was questioning the cashier about a drywall repair I am making, and he said "hey, you can even use this cutter (on the rotary tool)" to make a nice clean cut! So, the rotary tool got it's first assignment before I even left the store!

Bill

Reply to
Bill