Drawer slide recommendation ?

Page 2 of 3
scrawled the following:

*snip*
One of the nice features of RAID is you can lose 1 or 2 disks in an array (depending on how it's set up) and not lose any data. I've got a backup box that uses a RAID 6 array, and can lose two disks without losing any data. If a disk fails, it's simply replaced and the array rebuilds.
In the future, computers will start to come with more than one hard disk set up with some sort of mirroring to prevent data loss. 1 TB is an awful lot of data to lose. (It's just like almost all new computers now have multiple processor cores.)
Puckdropper
--
It's not the signature that gets you... It's the text above.

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 15:12:14 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke"

I just picked up a 64GB thumb drive today for $23.99, delivered.
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Where?
--
Best regards
Han

eBay, and I used my PayPal account for it. </neeners to the bay/pay haters>
-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

OK, that's a start. You have no more details?
And, of course, does it work?
--
Best regards
Han

Go to www.ebay.com , search for "64GB flash drive", filter viewing of the results by "Buy it Now" and "Lowest price + shipping". You'll find at least 4 vendors selling them for $30 or less.

I'll let you know in a couple weeks, when it arrives from halfway around the world.
-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Thanks! I placed an order too.
--
Best regards
Han

Some 128GB drives went for five to ten bucks the first day they came out. Lucky suckers. They go for $50-100 now. I may get one once the price drops in half again. Do complete backups of entire drives in one fell swoop.
-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Got a message from Ebay saying the item was withdrawn. If I had paid, I should (don't quite understand), but it said wait 3-7 days.
Guess I answered a scam artist.
I wonder whether I should dispute the charge from Paypal to my credit card ...
--
Best regards
Han

I missed buying one at $25 from shengda9668 (showing 133 sales but zero feedback, strange). He said to wait and came back with a relisting at $30 about 5 days later. I went back to eBay and got one from another vendor, f9w8g4f, who has 358 sales, 100% positive. I got a confirmation from her today, so I'll know more when it gets here.
G'luck!
-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Precicely what I am talking about. Now a smart company would make a player similar to a stand alone BlueRay or DVD player to access it, or add that feature.
64GB for $23.99
As Fluffy would say. Daaaum
Leon wrote:

Western Digital WDTV and WDTV Live, Viewsonic VMP70, ASUS O!Play, Brite-View Cinematube and Cinemacube, Popcorn Hour, SageTV HD Theater, Dvico TVIX, XBox 360, and Playstation come to mind. I'm sure that that list is not complete. Prices range from about 65 bucks for the entry-level Cinematube (not recommended--it's their first generation and it shows) to around 500 for a special edition xbox. There are several good options for 120 bucks or less.
All provide other features. If your intended primary use is to play back content stored on a thumb drive, research carefully. Note that BestBuy stocks the WDTV and WDTV Live so you should be able to try your card in one before you buy.
I understand that some TVs, DVD, and Blu-Ray players can also play video off of USB media.

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 09:48:31 -0500, "J. Clarke"

And in my case, my Yamaha stereo has a USB in port. Even a 4 gig USB drive gives over a week with several thousand MP3 songs and it will play for a week without repeating anything. $6.99. Can't ask for more than that.
Music *I* like and nothing else. No commercials, no stoned disk jockeys, just music.
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 10:27:52 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com scrawled the following:

Home or vehicular system? As for "can't ask for more", sure I could. I'd like that for _no_ cost, please. ;)
www.Jango.com and www.Pandora.com on the web are relatively free from distractions and cost.

aMEN to that! The only reason I miss Dish at all is because of the commercial-free music stations I used to listen to.
-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 08:30:32 -0800, Larry Jaques

Home system, RXV-3800. Second highest end model available. Sure, I could go for higher a end model, but this one does all that I want. Can't ask for much more.
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 11:50:08 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com scrawled the following:

My ears aren't all they used to be (tinnitus started about 25 years ago) so I'm happy with my old Technics SA-DX930, with 0.01%THD in audible ranges.
With this pocketbook and these ears, Denon, Onkyo, and Yamaha can have fun way up there without me.
-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

FiOS has commercial-free music channels.
--
Best regards
Han

Thanks for the info. I was totally unaware that the units existed for that purpose.
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 07:19:29 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

Yeah, my first 20MB hard drive cost over $300. I much prefer today's prices.
-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774
Larry Jaques wrote: ...

Heck, our first 10MB drive was about $10K iirc...surplussed