Drawer Lock Router Bits

What is the experience with using this type of joints for drawers over more traditional methods. Example Rockler cat# 92112
I am an amature woodworker but my projects involving drawers die when they hit the dovetails.

The lack of ability (or desire) to do dovetails is why these router bits exist. They work well from my limited experience.

I used them on 25 plywood 20" by 30" by 6" high drawers in my shop to hold tools, fasteners, etc. All heavy load items. Six years later they are still glued tight. Just need to pay attention to initial layout and remember what is a side and what is a front/back.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Or time. In production work even with a jig dovetails take longer and thus cost more, and most people neither know nor care what kind of joint is used as long as it doesn't break.

--John
"Keith nuttle" wrote

If you have a table saw do a DAGS on "lock rabbet joint" and "table saw".
Plenty strong for most furniture drawers, easy to cut, and can be strengthened further, and attractively, with pegs/pins of various materials.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Or watch The Router Workshop and make the same joint -"combination joint" - with the router, as they do.
"George" wrote in message

saw".
joint" -

Agreed ... and with a much cheaper bit to boot.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07
Keith nuttle wrote:

Never used one, usually attach drawer fronts/sides with sliding dovetails...quick & easy to make and strong.
--

dadiOH

The drawer lock bit is my choice for drawers when the joint is not part of the detail of the piece. It is fast and the glue area is plenty large enough. Dovetails are preffered when a through dovetail will be visible and adds to the character.
On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 14:05:32 GMT, Keith nuttle

What no one here is telling you is the setup time. Have lots of scrap test pieces around - the same thickness (this is important). The bit height is critical and will change if you use different thicknesses of material. The following site has a good piece on using a drawer lock bit.
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_door.html#drawer_lock_bits_anchor
On Feb 3, 4:53pm, snipped-for-privacy@mts.net wrote:

You are absolutely right regarding material thickness and thanks for the link. The prices look very competative. Have you bought from them before and, if so, how was the experience? I bought my lock bit from Rockler and purchased the setup blocks as well. I make a setup block for my other "hard to setup" bits and save it for the next time.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_door.html#drawer_lock_bits_anchor
Setup is time consuming the first time around. Then you save a piece for next time and it takes only seconds to adjust.