Downfeed Pedals for drill presses

I would like to know if a downfeed pedal (not a switch, but a pedal to lower the quillo) is a part that I can buy, in my case for a Delta

17-900 drill press. Thanks
Reply to
Ignoramus9936

So, you want to position the material with hands and feed with foot? It isn't generally considered safe, standing on one foot with machine tools whirring nearby, or holding the work with hands while the drill is powering through.

I suspect the most convenient way is to clamp the work in a jig, then (with both hands free) use the usual manual rack-and-pinion feed. And, that's the way the manufacturer recommends you proceed.

Reply to
whit3rd

The logical place to ask if there's a factory kit for the particular press would be Delta...

There certainly are (or at least used to be; I've not looked recently so don't know if they're something that has succumbed to OSHA/lawyers or not) at least some; whether there's one specifically for or easily adaptable currently available don't know.

A quick search found an old Delta 15-820 attachment for 15" presses.

But, a search at Delta found only parts manual for the feed, not a product and none showed in the accessories for presses.

So, I'd assume they've gone the way of the dodo.

I have seen some retrofits or whether there's any chance at all to find a relic somewhere I've no clue...

--

Reply to
dpb

I already looked and could not find one.

It would seem to be the case, and I do not know why. These pedals do not seem to be dangerous.

I will keep looking, I guess.

Reply to
Ignoramus30647

But did you actually _ASK_????

I suspect even if OSHA didn't get 'em the lawyers did. There is the hand-positioning argument somebody else mentioned. For ordinary press w/ just a drill not too much can go on; but add a large diameter circle cutter or somesuch and there's some reason to be aware...

I'd look at OWWM and similar--the Mike's parts place somebody posted in the jointer-fence case recently is worth looking to as well.

And, as mentioned previously, there are several plans for retrofitting if it's worth some effort.

Reply to
dpb

In the past, the only DP I ever saw with a foot pedal feed was one dedicated to cutting square hole mortises. The last one I recall seeing was in the later 60's in JrHigh shop. Could the disappearance of the foot feed actually be because of the introduction of the bench top mortiser and there is not as much reason for the pedal anymore? Just wondering.

Reply to
Leon

Could be--certainly the use w/ the mortiser was probably the prime reason for them.

I was just theorizing that perhaps it was OSHA; that's all, no basis other than the liability and/or safety issue has got some much stuff seemed reasonable guess...

--

Reply to
dpb

I like the pedals because they let me hold a part with two hands for drilling.

With small drill bits, it is perfectly safe.

Ignoramus540

_NOTHING_ is "perfectly" safe... :)

And, no, I'm not saying don't use one; if I had one I'd use it, too, at times.

Depending on what one's drilling, the mountable clamping pliers is useful or jigs if it's repetitive...

Don't guess you've had any luck finding old stock parts...only other thing besides the manufacture one oneself would be the larger industrial-specific manufacturers might still have such things whereas Delta has dropped them.

I didn't check General as the one other non-US similar-market manufacturer that also makes heavier stuff as well as small-shop...

--

Reply to
dpb

I bet it would be less expensive to buy a Rockler DP table with clamps and a lot cheaper to make your own.

Reply to
Leon

Maybe not 'perfectly', but ... If one were to mount a small hydraulic cylinder at the depth-stop and fit it to an hydraulic pump with a series valve or orifice (to limit speed) and shunt metering valve (to limit feed pressure) and shunt valve (to cut the feed pressure off and allow the quill to return), a simple footswitch can't be a hard item to locate.

Reply to
whit3rd