Dovetailer

Anyone have one of those cheap(er) dovetailers from places like Harbor Freight or Grizzly? If so, which one to steer away from (HF offers three different units)? How is construction - any plastic? Are they half way decent? or is it something you've used once and now sits under the bench?
I normally do my dovetailing by hand, but there are occassions when time is an issue. As much as I'd like to, I ain't gonna plop down a grand for a top of the line unit with accessories ad nauseum. I'll part with a C-note though on something that might get used once or twice a year.
thanx Mark from Pasadena, MD
I have the craftman one. Its mostly plastic(95%), but it works great never had a problem with it except you need their adapter plate for the router( about $10). It does box(2 sizes), half blind and though dovetails

Crawled

The HF model has metal fingers the only plastic is the cams to lock the work in place and it is on sale for 29.99 reg 45.99 the one at Rockler is 69 or 79 Tim

I found several models on the HF website, and wondered which one you are talking about? I didn't see one on sale, so with a little info I will go gewt one to play with.
Digger
"Digger" <DW> wrote in

It is in the sale catalog that ends August 11 th item number 34102-2RYA $29.99
Tim
Just a suggestion but if you want to duplicate that step that took the longest, it's fairly easy to do. When you have the right depth set for your dovetails, put a board in your vice and move the router bit into the top of the board. From this point forward, you simply repeat the depth by lowering the bit to fit the cut out area on the board.
Don

Great idea! Thanks!

time
with