Dovetail/Router problem

I was setting up to make some dovetails for three draws. I have not done this before. Boards were planed to 5/8 ''.
I had borrowed a friends Leigh jig and he also lent me his router bits. My router.
When I put the bushing and dovetail bit into my PC 7529 router I found that when I tried to adjust the router depth, the bit could not extend far enough because the collet hit the bushing. My friend said he had used this bit for wood up to 3/4" . You can't cheat and pull the bit out of the collet far enough. It is that far off.
Any ideas will be appreciated.
Bill

Routers are notorious for not having the bases centered with the collet. Could your guide bushing be off center causing the collet to hit the bushing? If so, you will need to center the base or bushing. You should be able to lower the collet down inside the bushing.
Actually I did center it with a centering pin.
--

Bill
"Leon" < snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net> wrote in message
you can either look for a bit with a longer shank or use a diffferent router (890 series) or get a collet extension. PC makes one