Don't buy Jet tools at WW

Page 2 of 3
Big worries about the wet and salt and electrical connections, I guess.
Best thing we've found for slush driving is on the wife's Focus wagon. Four wheel stability computer keeps it in a straight line even when one wheel dips into the puddles.
in message wrote:

were
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 07:36:44 -0500, "George"
Have you ever owned a Toyota or Honda?
Their attention to engineering detail is remarkable, hence the longevity of many of their cars. I wouldn't worry. The Honda hybrid has been around longer, and the examples I know of here in CT are holding up just like the IC Hondas. I'm 20 miles from the coast, and we get a decent amount of snow and slush.
Now, if GM or Chrysler built the Prius... <G>
Barry
Unfortunately, yes, I have. It was a number of years ago, when they were made out of steel that was so crappy that they rang when the door closed, and rusted so fast that big pieces began falling off after only four years! Sold mine at 4 1/2 years for the value of the battery I had replaced three months before. Kid's feet went through the floor next season, IIRC.
in message wrote:

George wrote:

Yeah, Dad's '70-something Honda was like that. It just disintegrated.
He got rid of his '83 Honda in around 1990 or so. Seven years old, and it was all to hell, but hadn't disintegrated.
They fixed all that though, I hear.

The Honda Insight was released in the US (and Japan) in 1999 (2000 model year). The Toyota Prius was released in Japan in 1997 (1998 model year), and released in the US in 2000 (2001 model year). The Honda Civic Hybrid was released in 2002 (2003 model year) in the US.
(Toyota also has the Estima minivan (2001), the Alphard minivan (2003), the Crown sedan, and the Coaster bus available in hybrid versions in Japan...)
Any electrical lines are well shielded and protected, so they're not a big worry. The hybrid battery performs best in what humans consider "room temperature", so the cabin air is run over the hybrid NiMH batteries.
Stock tires are OK for most snow/ice/slush driving, but snow tires would probably be best (as can be said for most any car).
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

It would save on highway driving too, which is very much stop and go at rush hour. :) That's what I had in mind when I said that anyway.

I want one because I drive an average of 24 miles a week, and I haven't been on the Interstate in years. (In my car, I mean. I get paid for all my driving.)
Maintenance seems like the big issue. Batteries are expensive, and all those electrowhatzits and flumgummies are almost certainly not shade tree mechanic friendly. Hell I can't even fix the electrowhatzit that's been broken on my 1987 model since 1989.
Seems you'd be married to dealer service, and dealer service is for rich people. Plus I'm not sure how it would fare with so little use. Typically my most expensive maintenance is having to replace dry rotted tires that still have 90% of their tread life left every 10 years. I like it that way. I'm a cheap bastard.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

Unless I read something wrong, that $15/week gas savings per week require 300 weeks of commuting to reach break-even; that's 5 years, 9 months. Then, you need to add in 6 years of registration for the additional vehicle, even if the registration for the older car was only $30 per year, that's another 12 weeks, which puts you well into the 7'th year of ownership. I tried your gas numbers at $1.45/gallon, then the savings pay for themselves after only 190 weeks, or 3 years, 8 months -- still seems like a long payback period, especially when having to consider repair and maintenance on two, rather than one vehicle.
Terry Sumner wrote:

Terry,
I have been a customer at Western Tool in Portland for several years. They are good stores - among the very best for people needing supplies for serious work. I am just a cash customer with a home shop and I assume those with accounts get better prices, but I still think the prices are really good. The prices are similar to their web site prices, but often vary by a bit. The web site isn't that great - searching, for example, is often frustrating, but I've never been frustrated by anything in the stores. I drive a bit extra to go to them.
The service is friendly but not phoney and everyone seems to know their stuff. They will leave me alone or follow me around answering questions. Special orders are easy, they load things for me, dig through catalogs or open boxes to answer questions, etc.
The first time I went into their store, it didn't look like they had a lot of stock. But what I realized was that they have nearly everything I need, it's just that the stores aren't half full of trinkets that promote impulse buying. And they only stock good quality items. There are many choices in some areas (e.g lots of cordless drills)and few in others (e.g. only Olson band saw blades, only Whiteside router bits), but the mix seems right to me. Everything (except for sometimes a very few cheap doo-dads at the counter) is the quality level I can rely on to work well for a long time.
Western Tool is also a place where I can send a friend, knowing that they will likely get good advice and that since the store isn't half full of crap, they will leave with something that will do the job at a good price. I can't over-emphasize how nice it is to send someone to a store that only sells good stuff.
There's no guarantee that their policies will extend to other stores as they expand, but odds are in your favor. There is that nasty pattern of local companies that have been successful at a small scale, grown until they got some national attention, and then been bought out by a major organization with wildly different ideas about customer service and no local understanding. Hope that doesn't happen to them (you!).
Too late to make a long story short, I guess; but Western Tool is a place I wouldn't mind working, and I think of them first when I need something. Good luck.
David
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 09:44:13 -0800, Jane & David

Isn't that kind of stuff that makes window shopping in a tool store fun when you don;t REALLY need to buy a real tool?
On the Jet Website they say, "If you purchased a qualifying Green Tag Tool at Woodworkers Warehouse between September 1, 2003 and December 31, 2003 and want to purchase a second program tool or accessories to qualify for the rebate, you can make your purchase at another retail location.
WMH Tool Group will honor the rebate request in this situation ONLY even though the rebate coupon states that the tools and accessories MUST be purchased at the same retail location.
Doesn't sound like they're reneging on anything. And doesn't the warranty come in the paperwork included by Jet?
Lionel
Take the DOG out before sending email.

IS no

Yep, someone needs to take JET to small claims court over a breech of contract issue with the warranty. Betcha a bunch of folks could get together and work up a class action suit against JET in this situation
Talk about BAD Publicity???
Someone at Jet must have their head shoved clean up to their shoulder up their ass on this one
John
On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 20:05:47 -0600, "Lionel"

John Crea writes:

Unless there's a bunch of folks out there to whom this happened, a breach of contract suit is damned unlikely. So far, it seems, we've got one dissatisfied customer presenting HIS side of the tale. That doesn't amount to a lawsuit, even in today's idiotic tort climate.
Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
On 05 Jan 2004 18:37:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

You have crystallized my thoughts eloquently.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
On 04 Jan 2004 20:18:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DEin2000) wrote:

There wouldn't be a WW guarantee, but all tools sold would come with the manufacturer's warranty.
I was told this as well from a jet rep on the phone. I bought a jwts 10" contractor saw with cast wings for $500 incl tax and a piece that holds the blade guard was not tapped to allow the rod to be inserted! I called jet and they said that they would not supply missing parts to www purchases, but would honor the warranty. My piece was clearly defective. They are sending me a replacement part via ground shipping.
.
(DEin2000) wrote:

IS no

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DEin2000) wrote in message

I talked to a supervisor @ WMH tool group regarding the 18" JET bandsaw and was told that they would do whatever they could to make me happy short of taking the saw back.(new parts, tech to house,ect) This saw was purchased 12/20/03 at WWW for 15%off.There is nothing broken with the saw, it is just too lightly built for my liking.Keith
Which is understandable - there is NOTHING WRONG with the saw. The 'Return Policy' is up to the establishment which sold the tool. This can vary from, 'No Refunds . . . only Exchanges', to 'No Cash Refunds . . . Store Credit Only', to a very generous, 'Return for Any Reason at Any Time'.
The MANUFACTURERS warranty terms are defined in the paperwork you filled in and sent to them - the tool 'Registration'.
To offer to send a Tech TO YOUR HOME is VERY GOOD 'Customer Service' !!
Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop {who READS EVERYTHING . . . then copies & files it !!}

IS no

Ron-I guess I should have 'splained myself better-I was attempting to show that JET service is top notch-even on a product that was purchased from WW after bankruptcy.Keith

On 5 Jan 2004 04:59:27 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (keith) wrote:

hey, you bought the thing. if it's not suitable for your needs, sell it on the open market. I'd bet you won't have any problem finding somebody to take it off of your hands for what you paid or nearly that.
buying closeouts and liquidations carries certain risks. you're looking at them.     Bridger
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DEin2000) wrote in message

Utter and complete nonsense. If they warrant their tools, they cannot selectivly chose which retailers they will honor the warranty through.
Pretty much a moot point since there aren't many Jet tools left at any WWWs.
BTW - did anyone take advantage of the going-out-of-business sale. At the WWW near me, the major power tools were only 10-15% off. Sears is right up the block and their prices are a little cheaper than WWW. If you wait for one of their 10% off sales (which they seem to have every month or so) you get it for about the same price AND are able to return it if there is a problem. Couldn't see buying anything at WWW and having to go back to the mfg if there was a problem when I got it home.
-Chris