Domestic exotics

Page 1 of 2
What would you guys elect as a domestic exotic wood? The obvious, holly, osage orange, mesquite, persimmon, dogwood. What else?
Try to select something that there is some rational chance of locating!
Charlie Self
"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin

Quartersawn sycamore, Koa (on a technicality), chestnut
Caractacus Potts responds:

of avoiding, because I'm not sure about availability...it is an endangered species in Hawaii now, though it is being plantation grown. Chestnut...ah, dreams? I could zip over to the Blue Ridge Parkway and swipe some fence rails, I guess...
Charlie Self
"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin
Speaking of chestnut, if anyone is in the Pittsburgh, PA area, Construction Junction, a non-profit selling used and surplus building materials (<http://www.constructionjunction.org/ ), has stacks wormy chestnut 2x10s or 12s that came from a warehouse that was recently torn down. $0.75/ft...
-Jeff

On 02 Dec 2003 18:38:59 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Charlie!
I'm surprised at a wordsmith like you committing this oxymoron. Cracked me up.
In botanical terms,
Exotic=not native Domestic=native
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

From the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary:
Exotic: adjective 1. introduced from abroad ... 2. Strikingly different, attractively unusual; glamorous. Formerly, outlandish, uncouth.
but also lower down: noun . . . 3. a striptease dancer. :-)
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

No, he said an exotic wood, not wood caused by an exotic.
LRod writes:

In dictionary terms, definition #1 is strikingly different, scientific jargon notwithstanding.
Charlie Self
"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin
On 02 Dec 2003 20:48:59 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Uh, actually, I checked first. The Merriam-Webster online dictionary (http://www.m-w.com ) has as its first definition, "non-native."
My version of "domestic" is further down the list, however.
Anyway, I was just pinging on you.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

The 'outstanding assets' are frequently imported, not grown locally.
I'm fairly partial to figured black walnut, (burl if available in the quantity you need), flame cherry, tiger maple. What are you planning on making?
Myx

Myxylplyk notes:

Yeah, but...I've never been partial to highly figured woods as major parts of projects, though they're attractive as partial parts.
Basically, current aim is some small boxes.
Charlie Self
"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin

Hi Charlie
I recently built a box out of Cypress. The grain is beautiful when stained to bring out the grain. I'll send you a picture if you like. Reply to my in-box
Bill
Bill Orr writes:

I've also got some cypress boards here: it's great for some things, but it's not a hardwood. Though I forgot to specify in my original post, I'd like the woods to be hardwoods, if at all possible.
Charlie Self
"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin
On 02 Dec 2003 19:51:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

like apple and pear. Applewood is very nice, but usually comes in smallish logs with lots of bend and twist. But you could get out small pieces.
Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a
For your upscale SUV: Dingle-balls hand knit of natural Icelandic yarn
My vote would be for chinaberry. It has a great brown & tan coloring. Somewhat porous looks good in a box or turned piece.
Charlie Self wrote:

--

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
Gerald Ross wrote:

We've got a lot of those around here (Austin TX). I've always wondered what they'd look like on the inside.
--
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.

Tough question, but it depends on your definition of exotic. To many, an exotic represents something that may be difficult to get, expensive, and/or foreign. For instance - I can't easily get mesquite or alder in the great white northeast, so to me, they're somewhat exotic. You could consider something like purpleheart or jatoba an exotic, but in the places they're from, they seem to be as common as maple or poplar is to us. Besides, I have plenty of the stuff in my shop, something I can't say about many domestic species.
True US domestic exotics might be any of the curlies - maple, cherry, redwood, ash, oak, etc. I have some small pieces of curly ash that I'm afraid to use, they have more value to me than any chunk of padauk or cocobolo. Also, trees that are either rare or have a very limited yield. My favorites include hophornbeam, honey locust, lilac, apple and anything spalted. Most of us consider koa an exotic, even though it's technically a US species.
Not sure I answered your question...
--
Jon Endres, PE
Reply To: wmengineer (at) adelphia (dot) net

I'd love to get hold of chinaberry, hophornbeam, honey locust or apple. Lilac doesn't do much for me, probably related to the fact that the basic of most lilacs are ideal breeding places for yellowjackets, my most hated insect/animal.
But where? Are these woods so localized they're not useful to most of us? I can get hold of good old fashioned post (black) locust down in Virginia almost any time, though in small sizes. Honey locust is a whole 'nother thing. Apple is a hit and miss proposition...you almost have to catch an orchard changing over, uprooting trees, and grab before burn day.
Charlie Self
"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin
I've got some pearwood I recently re-sawed that, while pretty by itself, has some spalting that makes it striking.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03