Does wood glue (in bottle) die with age?

Page 1 of 2
Sorry for what's certainly unimportant, but I have a bottle of Elmer's Wood Glue (which I've heard is roughly equivalent to Tite Bond and is more or less a good product<----please advise) which is over 20 years old. Is it likely still any good (in bottle and behaves perfectly fine). It has not separated, nor changed consistency.
Thanks! Sorry if this is a WOT.
Here is the Titebond answer on shelf life
http://www.titebond.com/FaqTB.asp
It seems they are saying as long as it is liquid. I especially like this statement
"Should Titebond Original become thick and stringy, or Titebond II turns into an orange colored gel, these changes signify that the glue is no longer usable."

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

Estimates for storage life vary from one year on up with most "experts" going for 2 years or so. Note the use of "experts" and "or so". My feeling is that if it's over a couple years old and you really care about your project, use a crowbar on your wallet and spend a few bucks for a new bottle.     :-)     jo4hn
A 20 yr old (vintage) bottle of Elmer's Glue? That should fetch a pretty good price on E-Bay.
Sonny

But do you serve it with red meat or seafood?
RonB
RonB wrote:

It's white; obviously not w/ red meat... :)

Wow... no kidding. After 20 years even I wouldn't use it.
Robert
It can freeze itself to death. Martin
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

If you moved a counter top appliance in your kitchen, one that does not get used much, the one that you thought would be cool to have but never actually use, and uncovered an old tooth pick, would you use it or throw it away?
Love your reply. Dead nuts right on. How many cents are we talking about?
burtwitlin wrote:

To some who must utilize every thing cents does not make a difference but how much is left. Is the bottle empty?
Keith Nuttle wrote:

Dang, I had to parse that about three times before it made cents (sic).
Geez, how much patience do you have anyway?
I have a question: When are glue manufacturers going to take a cue from those few shampoo companies that make the upside-down bottles with flat "tops"? I don't even buy shampoo any more if it doesn't have that feature. I mean, how many hours of our lives have we wasted waiting for some gelatinous crap to come oozing out of those danged ol' "right-side up" bottles anyways?!*
* (have I ever mentioned that "anyways" is always plural here in Texas?)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

(woops, I forgot to pluralize the first occurrence!)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

In Quebec too.
Luigi

I would imagine that the glue manufacturers figure that woodworkers are smarter than the bottle. One shake is all it takes to get the glue to the other end of the bottle.
CW wrote:

I don't know what kind of glue you're using, but when I have 3/4" of Titebond left in a quart bottle, one shake ain't gonna get it. Incidentally, when they get to that point I usually turn the bottles upside down and store them in a tin can.

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 12:28:17 -0700 (PDT), "Thomas G. Marshall"

I don't know if the glue will be good after 20 years but the bottle might not be. I had a plastic quart bottle of Elmer's yellow in the garage for about 5 years and the glue seemed okay so I was going to try some on a small project. I was pouring some glue into a smaller container and dropped the quart bottle on the concrete floor. The plastic had turned brittle and just shattered. I instantly had glue everywhere.
Mike O.

Look on the bright side? :~) It hit the floor. Several months ago I dropped a quart can of gel varnish on top of my Delta Moriser. I had that crap all over the place too. I had to take the fan cover and fan off to get the gel out. And then wipe down every square inch of the mortiser with thinner.