does norm ever have kick backs?

Page 2 of 2
I joked with SWMBO about wearing a steel jock after that "accident".
dave
Jay Windley wrote:

Jay Windley wrote:

Kid at work didn't know how bad an idea it is to hand cut with a table saw. Piece of UMHW hit him in the nuts.
That happened on Wednesday, we didn't see him till Monday. Doctors orders.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

I recently had a long narrow piece fly out from between the blade and fence as they have a habit of doing when ripping. It hit SWMBO's car on the nose (hood) and made a tiny little dent. Should have heard the flak I received about that for weeks. Everyone in the neighborhood knows about it too! Last week she rammed a signpost in the WalMart parking lot for no reason at all. Cost $2.5G to fix. The little dent is gone with the trashed front end and you should hear the silence about my little error!!

Lucky you weren't facing the other way - you wouldn't have been able to speak for days.
Groan!
dave
Andy Dingley wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote:

I think I'm going to pass out from laughing so hard...
I'm glad I got my coffee AFTER reading this one!
Silvan wrote:

WHOOOOSSSSSH!
That was the sound of that one going over my head the first time I read it.
-Chris

Since nobody disputed this statement, I'll assume it's generally true; which leads me want to conduct a poll of sorts. (Disclaimer: this is not scientific poll so please no lecture on all of the intricate details of a statistically significant poll).
When you reconsider the circumstances, could every kickback you have ever experienced been prevented using common practices of proper machine use and safety? I guess the real thing I'm trying to get at is; are there ever kickbacks that just happen; even when you think you've done everything correctly?
Cheers, Mike

Mike wrote:

My two tablesaw kickbacks were completely preventable. I made a push stick out of the first one as a reminder.
-- Mark

sort.
Been using a tablesaw of sort or other for a good number of years and have never had a kickback. Maybe I'm just the exception that proves the rule.
Yes.

yep all 2 or 3 of them could have been prevented with a functioning splitter or other "hold down" device.
BRuce
Mike wrote:

--
---

BRuce

On 12 Nov 2003 10:24:39 -0800, half snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mike) wrote:

Yes. I haven't had one in years, as I've become more and more safety conscious and knowledgable.

Not in my experience. I _thought_ I was doing everything correctly, but at the time I didn't fully understand the causes.
Barry

In my case, yes. I've had two kickbacks in the past three years (since I got back into ww'ing), one that would have skewered my like an olive if I'd been standing behind the blade. In both cases the fault was entirely mine, making cuts I knew (or should have known) were stupidly risky in a dumb attempt to save a bit of setup time.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
| | ...one that would have skewered me like an olive | if I'd been standing behind the blade.
I learned very quickly that whirling saw blades create an imaginary plane that I probably shouldn't stand in.
Early in my career as an engineer, when my automation work included generating tool paths automatically for NC mills, I was summoned to the advanced manufacturing floor to witness the effect of a typo in a computer program's data file. A transposed set of digits in a tool feed rate had caused a chunk of aluminum alloy stock to be thrown from the lathe, through the shield, past the head of the operator, and through two thicknesses of 3/4 inch drywall.
The lesson hit home. Pun intended. And maybe I'm paranoid, but I approach each of my power tools with the attitude that the s.o.b. is trying to kill me, and whether it succeeds or not depends largely on what I do and how much attention I pay to what forces are being applied and where.
--Jay
Haven't seen it mentioned yet but sharp blades seem to give an additional margin of error...trying to force a piece through a dull blade can do all sorts of things that can result in unplanned recesses in your shop walls. Sometimes they are ok as you can use them for additional shelf space but it's difficult to achieve that finished look around the edges.

through
approach
much
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:29:31 -0700, "Jay Windley"

Windows for Machining Centres 8-)
Be afraid.

sort.
Let's see- I once (early in my tablesaw experience) started a crosscut with the piece riding the fence- luckily, it was a small piece, and the knot on my hand went away in a couple of months. The good part was, I was introducing a friend to woodworking, and this made him begin to take shop safety seriously.
Another time I was preparint to cut apart a cabinet door (standard frame containing 1/4" ply), when I lost my grip and dropped it on the spinning blade- it "rode" the blade for a sec (it was quite a sight), then came flying at my chest. Luckily, it was too heavy for the blade to throw it very hard, but it still woke me up nicely.
About the only time I ever have a problem is when I'm cutting a hunk of wood that pinches the blade before it gets to the splitter. I pay attention, and have never had one of these thrown at me. I use a shopmade zero-clearance insert and splitter, with an anti-kickback blade and long push sticks, and regularly rip very small dimensions (1/2" and smaller) between the blade and fence with no problems.
Steve
www.postalbanks.com