Do you work wood in a "shop" or a "studio"?

Page 3 of 3
Bay Area Dave wrote:

Oddly enough, it does seem to shake out much like that. It's a strange world. Speaking of which, I was told, and I may have lost a leg here, that in SF if you can't make bail the city will do it for you. Is that for real?? What's the point of bail. I'd disbelieve it except for some of the strange rulings I've seen come out of that circuit court. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
snipped-for-privacy@fairfax.com wrote:

Andy Dingley writes:

Oh, yeah.

Or can't afford the equipment: my father was an auto mechanic and died leaving about $900 worth of wrenches and other tools (timing light, feeler gauges, etc.). Today, the smaller computers for engine work run maybe $50,000.
Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/living/home/7720321.htm
Maybe my wife would have more respect for my hobby if I called the gara...er, shop a studio. I could tell her I'm an artist. Yeah, that's the ticket. Then, when things don't come out exactly right I could sniff at her, "You wouldn't criticize Monet because his paintings lack detail. I call my pieces Impressionist Furniture; you don't want to look to closely."
Dick Durbin
"Dick Durbin" wrote in message

Damn ... ROTFLMAO!! ... lord, that hurts.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/12/04

Probably not. My shop IS a studio. It's where I shoot photos for books and articles. Right now, that's a 16' x 21' garage with a single circuit, and far too many tools, light stands, tripod and such crap to make moving around much fun. And it's unheated. When I get home--the Realtor is holding an open house Sunday, so y'all keep your fingers crossed--I'll have a real shop that I can also call a studio.
But it will still be a mess, though it has probably 15 circuits.
Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker
Ah, the eye, or perception, of the beholder.
Does anybody else remember the early TV show, 'Life of Riley' with William Bendix ? This 'thread' {and YES, it has been 'done' in the past} reminded me of an episode. The family had a garage that 'fronted' on an alley behind the house. Since they didn't have a car{or some other reason}, they decided to rent it for some extra cash. The woman answering the advert talked about using it as a 'Gallery'. The wife jumped on it immediately, signing her to a contract, and stating to the family how it would add 'tone' to the neighborhood.
Everything goes well until they are invited to the 'opening'. She swings the garage door up and it is indeed a 'gallery' . . . a 'Shooting Gallery' - just like the ones on the old Atlantic City boardwalk - complete with .22 'pump' rifles !!
SURPRISE !!
Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop
SNIP

I'm dating myself, but yes, I remember "The Life of Riley". Watched it as a little tyke.
dave
Ron Magen wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 02:39:40 +0000, Bay Area Dave wrote:

I know another fellow who used to date himself until he found the perfect woman. Now he wishes he were still dating himself.
C wrote:

He probably still *is*.
    Greetings and Saluations.

    I call my shop the workshop when I mention I am going to go out and do something in it. I call it the "studio" when I am selling items made in it.     Amazing how something made in a studio is worth SO much more than something made in a shop.     (*smile*).     Regards     Dave Mundt