Do you work wood in a "shop" or a "studio"?

I can't afford one either.

Reply to
Silvan

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:55:39 GMT, Bay Area Dave Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

"prissy"...hmmm must be the PC way to say it nowadays?

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Traves, is that really you?

Good to read you again, didja get lost in that truck of yours?

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 10:33:30 GMT, "Groggy" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

its me!

lol no,,,just trying to keep myself in the shop and with the misses a bit more often. . . got a few of my priorities in order,,,,lol

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Don't wanna get sued these days. BTW, How do you pronounce your name? I figured that it was the same as Travis, but I heard it pronounced Travs. OT, I know, but it's beeen bugging me. Dave (standard enunciation) in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:25:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@fairfax.com Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

yep its Travis with an E...say it the same. and lemme tell ya, it was a PITA growing up with that spelling, and it continues to this day. . . its been pronounced Trayvs, travs, and once in a blue moon, Travis.

but i can honestly say, i am the only one i have ever seen spelled this way...might have been my dads fault,,,he cant spell worth a damn! hehe

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

"Traves W. Coppock" shed light upon a murky world with:

That's what I figured, thanks. It was from the Woodworking magazine on a DVD, BTW. Yeah I can see how that might grow a fast pair of hands on you coming up. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

At first, I read this then shrugged off the rant and passed on. Then, as I thought about it more I realized that I disagree with the assertion that "type of work" and "product" are equivalent.

In my opinion, of course, "type of work" is a more general term. It addresses all that I do, whether for commercial gain or for personal enjoyment. "Product" speaks more specifically to the physical things that I produce for sale. This distinction was firmly in mind when I wrote the sentence quoted above and its snipped companions.

Besides, I see your "Product" and I will raise you a "Going forward" :-)

Jeez, the only word I have ever hated is "Tax" ...

CharlesJ

-- ======================================================================== Charles Jones | Works at HP, | email: snipped-for-privacy@hp.com Hewlett-Packard | doesn't speak | ICQ: 29610755 Loveland, Colorado | for HP | AIM: LovelandCharles USA | |Jabber: snipped-for-privacy@jabber.hp.com

Reply to
Charles Jones

Actually, I work in more of a lair.

Reply to
Steve

Wow. It took me a long time to get around to answering this message.

I started answering it last night. I was most of the way done when my dog freaked out and ran under the computer desk. He hit the power switch.

I lost the message, and the computer. The damn thing had been running for several months uninterrupted 24/7 without a hitch, and it up and died after being shut off last night.

I spent hours and hours swapping parts around. Three computers in the house, none of them running.

Mine is DOA. Best I can tell, the motherboard took a dump for absolutely no reason. Under no circumstances should powering off a computer via the damn off switch kill it, but that's exactly what happened. Some component was going, I guess, and the power cycle killed it, like a light bulb almost always burning out when you turn it on.

So after swapping parts back around, I was luckily finally able to get something to work, but it sure isn't pleasant.

I started answering this message on a 1 GHz Athlon system. Old by today's standards, but it was a nice enough machine. Now I'm using a hybrid. The RAM from my computer, and my hard drive, grafted into some old POS Gateway computer someone was throwing away, which I had intended to use as a diskless workstation on my LAN.

Now this old POS is my *server*. Though there's currently nothing to serve. I won't be using it as a terminal, and the other terminal needs a power supply. The old server is more usless than my Crapsman router, and that's really sad.

It's a screaming Pentium II 233. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, but I'm not exactly thrilled either. Luckily it was modern enough that I could drop my hard drive and RAM into it, or it wouldn't be tolerable at all. As it turned out, once I got in via a rescue disc to rearrange /etc fstab and recompile my kernel for this piece of crap processor (Intel, you suck!), everything worked. The video card is of the same general flavor as my newer one, and the same driver works. Linux adjusted itself to everything else with perfect aplomb, and it just booted and started working once I could boot it.

Even still, it was a hell of a lot of trouble, and it was all your fault, Traves.

I forgot what I was going to say to you last night.

Reply to
Silvan

The only word I hate is "eunuch."

Reply to
Silvan

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:30:48 -0500, Silvan brought forth from the murky depths:

Not the word, but the way she says it "No."

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day --

Ending Your Web Page Angst.

Reply to
Larry Jaques