Do I want the Makita or the Milwaukee?

Page 2 of 2
In forth:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
(Amazon.com product link shortened)/
I think you can do better on the price if you don't mind recon'd i bought the Milwaukee for $119 from Toolking on their tool of the day a couple months ago, but now they only show this one. http://www.toolking.com/milwaukee-2601-82-factory-reconditioned-18-volt-cordless-compact-drill-kit Don't know what the difference is between the 22 and 82 but it works for me.

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
(Amazon.com product link shortened)/
I have wore out a lot of different cordless drills over the years. Milwaukee, Makita, De-Walt, Riobi, Firestorm, Skill, etc...
Over all I have been most satisfied with my Milwaukee drills. I have not tried the Makita you picture, but my current truck gun (in my service truck for daily use) is the Milwaukee you have pictured. Except for the stupidly high price of extra batteries I am very happy with it.
On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 10:43:24 -0600, Steve Turner

Well... it was me I'd go for the Bosch 38636.
http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid8636-01
That's what I bought after my 15ish year old Bosch 12V drills finally pooped out. I also had a pair of 8-10 year old 24V Porter Cable Drills that didn't perform as well as the Bosch 12V drills.
I've always liked Bosch and Makita and never had a problem with any of their tools. Milwaukee -- not so much.
Gordon Shumway
Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
(Amazon.com product link shortened)/
I have had quite an assortment in the last 30 years as far as cordless drivers are concerned. In the last 15 years I have had Panasonic, DeWalt, Makita, and Bosch.
The Bosch is however a 1.5 amp 18 volt L-ion impact driver. I also have a Makita 12 Volt 2.6 amp NiNh impact. Performance between the two is about the same although the Bosch with the higher voltage "seems" to have a bit more power. I still prefer the Makita over the Bosch. Cordless Makita drills have been around longer than most and IMHO you cannot go wrong with that brand. I have broken several Bosch corded drills and never broken any other brand. I have even broken a Bosch sander, right Swingman? ;~)
There seems to be some contrary to good reports about the Milwaukee battery holding a charge. I would buy a Milwaukee corded drill in a heart beat although I can not seem to kill my corded DeWalt which has built several decks in the last 16 years.
IMHO Panasonic makes the absolute best unless something has changed recently and you cannot go wrong with the Makita.
On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 10:43:24 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner

I haven't tried lithiums yet, but the articles say "Get the 3AH batts OR ELSE!" If you're working for a living, don't try the cheapos, as they don't have the battery life -or- the balls.
-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

I used to work at a supply house that sold Milwaukee. The one that you are looking at is the entry level drill and is not there best. If you don't mind reconditioned (if Milwaukee did the recon then I wouldn't hesitate) here is something to look at.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
It is only $20 more and you would have a lot better drill IMO.
I have a Milwaukee 18v Lion and it works great.
Allen
Steve Turner wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)

(Amazon.com product link shortened)

I never used either one, but I picked up the Makita at a local store and fell in love with it immediately. It fit my hand really, really nicely and is super light weight. At first I thought it didn't have a battery in it, but it did.. This thing weighs about 3 pounds or so. I was hell bent on getting a small 12 volt drill but couldn't decide on the Milwaukee or the Bosch. After holding this one in my hand, I have to say it feels really good. It was so light I wondered about the durability... Makita has a good name though, and my Makita hammer drill has been great for many years.
I know I would not buy any drill with out holding it in my hand to see how it feels. This one would be perfect in my "part time" home shop.
--
Jack
Got Change: 5% Unemployment =====> 10% Unemployment!
On 1/9/2010 10:06 AM, Jack Stein wrote:

Yeah, I held both those drills in my had at the local Home Depot last night, and the Makita is about a 1/2 pound lighter and just feels better in the hand. The price on both was the same as Amazon's current price ($179) but they were sold out of the Milwaukee. I'm still pondering...
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
On 1/9/2010 11:34 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

Actually, I held them in my *hand*...
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Oh, I thought you had mistyped and meant "nads". I'm actually quintradextrous and can hold tools with my prehensile appendage. But never the nads! Ouch.
--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. --- http://diversify.com/handypouches.html ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) Handy Pouches NOW AVAILABLE!
On 1/9/2010 8:30 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Yes, I am too, and being a drummer I can tell you that comes in pretty handy.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

Robocop thanks you. Everyone else knew exactly what you meant.
--
Jack
Got Change: 2008 ====> 1984
Steve Turner wrote:

everyday and it has plenty of power. No problem with batteries yet and it holds a charge for most of the day. Again I use it everyday for long periods of time. It takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. I'd buy another in a heart beat!!!!
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
On 1/9/2010 12:20 PM, Evodawg wrote:

Yabbut which one? The Milwaukee or the Makita? :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Absolutely! Maybe, I think.
Steve Turner wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)

(Amazon.com product link shortened)

I got the Makita set -- drill and driver -- for about a deuce at the BORG on Black Friday. Very satisfied. Plenty of power and fast recharge.