Do I need a Triton router table?

Hi folks... I plan to buy a router. For those that know Triton stuff

- is there a better option for a router table? (I'm in Australia.)

Thanks for reading...

Allan.

Reply to
(Just) Allan

build your own.

it's fun. it builds your skills. it saves you money.

Reply to
bridger

Yeah, but... : )

I'm just beginning in woodwork so I guess what I'm asking is... Is a hole in a flat surface all there is to a router table? Does it matter which "hole in a table" I use!?

Allan.

Reply to
(Just) Allan

that is all there is to your (and my) first one.

you'll use it for a while and figure out what features you really need. then you'll build the next one. having the first one will make it easier to build the second one, and so on.

if you do it like I do, you'll spend approximately nothing doing it- it's all shop scraps and your time.

it's not uncommon for me to build a one off quickie router table for some specific purpose. usually I'll keep them around for a while until I figure out what does and doesn't work about them, then use the good features in the next one. there's no clear line between router "table" and router "jig" in my shop.

if you go out and spend gobs o dough on a fancy store bought one, you'll be way less willing to go ahead and drill holes in it, cut a little off of the end or take the time to learn how to build an accurate fance, for instance. and the fancy one in the end won't be a bit more accurate than the one you make.

Reply to
bridger