Do CFM ratings on HF compressors 'lie'?

We all know about the 'peak horsepower' lie... but what about CFM?

My $100, 8-gallon HF compressor is rated at 4.5 SCFM @115 psi. There are 7.48 gallons per cubic foot meaning that my 8 gallon compressor is just a little over 1 cubic foot.

Assuming I am basically at standard pressure & temperature conditions, this would seem to imply that my compressor should fill in under 15 seconds, i.e., (8/7.48)*(1/4.5)*60

But it takes more like 2 minutes to fill...

What am I missing here?

Reply to
blueman

The charging flow's resistance isn't linear as the pressure increases in the tank. The answer to the original question is no.

Reply to
Robatoy

You appear to be expecting approximately 1 CF of air to fill the tank. And it will, but not to 115PSI.

Reply to
Mike

And, when account for that, (115 + 15)/15 = 8-something so the SCF input required is 8X times the final volume. Thus 8X the 15 seconds is for 1 SCF yields about 2 minutes for 8. Amazing!!! :)

--

Reply to
dpb

DOH me!!!! of course I forgot the old pv=nrt and therefore it's not 1 SCF in there but as you say (115+15)/15...

That makes a lot of sense of course...

Reply to
blueman