Discussion: Describe your shop!

Page 2 of 4

JG wrote:

insulation around the pipes. Joe who wastes a lot of water waiting for the warm stuff
Joe wrote:>who wastes a lot of water waiting for the warm stuff

At least you _realize_ the wastefulness.You could catch that in a bucket, then flush the commode with it. My shop is undergoing a shake-up. I'm putting a fold-up miter bench along the West wall, and the place is in disarray. Thanks, Sysiphus for replying with your ideas. The "boot' hinges work well.The bench should end up costing about 70-80 bucks, all of that in hinges. Cheap hinges! JTAS10XL dominates the back half, with an outfeed table/bench the size of a 36 inch door, 'cause it's a door. Storage in bench for routers, drill motors and planes(need more planes). PM54A jointer along the East wall, and a Dewalt 733 planer make a nice triangle for stock truing. At the far end is a Delta 14 inch bandsaw w/riser (anybody ever shim out the LOWER wheel?), Jet 17 DP, Jointech's shopmade "ultimate" router table, IPM fence system. Shopmade downdraft sanding station. Outside's a Jet 1100 DC, and a trash-can cyclone, all plumbed with 4 inch DWV pipe, and the static'll raise your hackles! And more F*&$^n' odds and ends than you can shake a stick at where the lathe will go. Someday... Tom Someday, it'll all be over....
Tom wrote:

Yes, there was a local contractor building his own or a spec house that put sensors in all the bathrooms, don't recall about the kitchen, that turned on a recirc pump whenever someone walked in. the pump ran the cold water in the hot water lines back to the cold water side of the heater until a thermostat told it to quit. The article, which I forgot to save, said payback was on ly a year or two on the whole system. Didn't mention how far away the heater was though. If I knew a lot more about plumbing, and what I could mness up without a checkvalve between me and the town supply, I might do the same. Joe
On Tue, 18 May 2004 12:01:55 -0400, Joe Gorman

...and in a freezing-zone with no sign of pipe insulation anywhere.
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Larry Jaques wrote:

Larry, who do you take me for a fool? (Well if you remember me from a few years ago, perhaps ;-)
This is Memphis, TN we are talking about. It rarely gets below freezing for more than 6-8 hours _outside_, never mind in a climate controlled garage... and believe me, all the hot water pipes in the wall are wrapped in pipe insulation. And once the painters are done the visible pipes will be treated similarly.
You did notice the domain name, right?-)
-- John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg
from the murky depths:

<g>
OK, I guess I'll have to let you go with a warning this time.

Newp. That one got right past me. (I don't always analyze links so yours just got clicked on without notice) But it snowed somewhere down there just a month ago. And a friend's family lives in TN somewhere and they get snowed in, so I SWAGged it as a cooler climate. So solly.
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Larry Jaques wrote: > So solly.
Just don't let it happen again or I'll have the Irish/Mexican Mafia come and shellac your eyelids open.
John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg
from the murky depths:

You WOULDN'T!
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Larry Jaques wrote: JG brought forth

http://tinyurl.com/2k2ml
John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg
from the murky depths:

Um, that took me to my index page on Amazon.com. What was your intention?
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
<massive snip>

Slow day in the office Keeter? ;-)
Greg Millen wrote:

It did say weekly, right?
UA100

My error - I meant the length of your post.
Greg
Greg Millen wrote:

Hey! Some guys know how to talk about their 'chinery.
UA100
"Art Finkelstein" wrote in message ...

Well, I am not normally given to envy other guy's tools, but this thread is an exception. I have what I like to think of as a functional shop, I keep my tools in good condition but won't hesitate to use them for rough work. The shop in general is a display case of works-in-progress (OK, it's a mess), complete with a shop dog to guard them.
My favourite tools are the LN low angle adjustable mouth block plane and a Starrett square given to me by a generous fellow wrecker who sent me along the path of ruination with his generosity (Starretts raise the bar on your tolerances).
The LN is a favourite since it 'just feels good' and transmits the 'feel' of the cut through the body. The 4" Starrett has fast become the 'user' of the shop, I can't think of a recent project it hasn't been involved in.

More time.

Me, thinking - usually.

5?
Art Finkelstein wrote:

Shop is located in a 50'x50' aircraft hanger and has a 45'x12' north-facing overhead door. Hot in summer and cold/drafty in winter. I've added a 6'x12' solar heating panel and plan to add two more.
10" Unisaw 10" Toolcraft RAS Toolcraft floor drill press Ryobi benchtop drill press Delta BOSS (spindle sander) Grizzly polisher, stand Craftsman shaper Craftsman 12" bandsaw Grizzly 6" jointer Grizzly 12.5" planer Jessum router table w/ DeWalt VS router HF DC w/ 2 LV separators in line ShopBot PRT-96 CNC router w/ Colombo spindle w/ 4' Shop-built dovetail clamp Grizzly 3 HP air compressor Grizzly scroll saw Grizzly blade grinder Ulmia, Stanley, Record, LV hand planes LV chisel set Delta (small) circular saw B&D 7-1/4" circular saw B&D router (small) PC 690 router w/ both bases Kreg jigs HF corded and cordless drills HF pneu brad nailer HF pneu drill HF metal-cutting bandsaw HF mortise machine Spray guns, hoses, etc. Various finishing sanders Various clamps Various shop-built work, assembly surfaces Shop-built metal-forming brake Shop-built materials cart Shop-built passive solar heating system Starrett square, protractor head, centering head Computer system Refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot HF 4'x8' folding trailer

Customers! Signage Rolling storage cabinets Oscillating edge sander Stroke sander More lights More electrical outlets More solar panels More insulation Product display area Permanent spray booth Partitioned (dust free) office Partitioned (dust free) CNC room High-speed internet connection

Computer keyboard, mouse ball )-:

Between 50 and 60 (-:
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

1949 Unisaw with homemade overarm guard and rolling cart 1950ish Delta Homecraft 8" contractor saw 1950ish Boice Crane 12" planer 1937 Atlas 12" dp 1955 Craftsman 9" RAS 1950ish Craftsman 8" wood lathe Jet 6" jointer (soon to be replaced with a more appropriate vintage) Router table station with Jointech fence CMS rolling cart/cabinet with 12" Ridgid CMS 1959 Delta 20" bandsaw 1957 Delta 14" bandsaw 1944 Hardinge TM horizontal mill with Bridgeport M vertical head 1947 Logan 200 lathe 1960ish Powermatic 12" disk/6x48 belt sander Griz dust collector (cyclone soon, I hope) Devilbiss 80 gallon, 2 stage compressor Rol-Air pancake compressor 1937 (approx) Delta 6" grinder with pedastal HTP MIG welder 24x48 welding/layout table sheet goods cart 12' lumber rack, 8' high Miscellaneous hand and tailed tools for wooddorking Miscellaneous hand and tailed tools for metalworking
Want to add to the shop: About 20x20 :-) Shaper
Collects the most dust: The bikes hanging from the ceiling
Hours per week in the shop: Good week - 12-16 Bad week - 0
Shop dog: 2 of them. A Jack Russell and a mutt.
If you haven't guessed already, my shop is also my garage. For all the larger items, I've made mobile carts from box channel and angle iron. Ends up cheaper than anything out there, and I get a custom cart for each machine. And yes, my SWMBO can park her Suburban in the garage when I'm done working! :-)
--
Regards,

Rick

(Remove the HIGH SPOTS for e-mail)
Are you the same Chamberlain I just bought the Incra gauge from on Amazon? Just curious.
Todd L

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Nope.
--
Regards,

Rick

(Remove the HIGH SPOTS for e-mail)
Art Finkelstein wrote:

Easier to just show you. Poke around and explore by clicking on anything you're interested in. http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/ShopMap.html

More space to store wood and more ceiling height for long boards vertical storage. I hate having to cut a fine board in order to get it in out of the rain.

One answer - the Delta dust collector If you mean where does the most dust settle - behind every machine against the wall.

If you mean just physically in the shop - probably 25-30 hrs If you mean actually making furniture - 8-10 hrs, more during the summer doing projects with neighborhood kids.
charlie b