Disc Sander Dust

I've been getting a lot of use out of my homemade disk sander, but I tend to get a lot of dust thrown about with it. I do most my sanding work on the downside of the rotation, so the dust would be thrown towards the base but some hangs on and is thrown further.
If I installed a trap, such as a piece of angled wood, would it reduce the amount of dust that gets free? Do I need to do something else?
Puckdropper

When we used one at the shop about 600 cfm of dust collection seemed to keep the dust down a bit.
On 16 May 2008 07:11:34 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

I don't have a dust collector, what could I do to make a shop vac more efficient?
Puckdropper

shopvacs don't make very good collectors for machines that produce a lot of fine dust, but you can do a few things to improve the situation. first, make sure that the vac filter is clean and that the hoses are airtight and not kinked. build a shroud around the disk sander that makes the air flow the direction of rotation and directs it into the vac intake. you'll probably need to experiment a bit to get a shroud shape that flows well and collects the maximum dust while still allowing you to use the machine in all of the ways you want to. you may even end up with parts that you remove to for instance get to the edge for some operations or to allow sanding of long boards. but generally a shroud that encloses the full circumference will catch the most dust.
mostly I end up making dust control shrouds from plywood, sheet metal and plumbing fittings.
On 16 May 2008 07:11:34 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Just yesterday I was turning and then sanding an oak spindle. I spring-clamped the 4" DC hose just under the spindle and it looked like it continuously sucked the dust. The pattern was rather cool--it looked like an ocean wave. Sanding and bandsaw work produce a lot of fine dust. Your dust collector can work wonders for cleanup and your lungs--use it.