Disc Sander burning my wood! ??

Hi,
I have a 12" Delta disc sander with a 1/2 HP motor. Most every time I use it , it burns the wood.
Anybody know why? The sandpaper is rather aggressive - I would say about maybe 50, could be 80. I bought it with the paper on it and never bothered to change it.
I use one of those gummy things to clean the paper.
Thanks in advance.
--

Bill

Perhaps you're trying to force the tool to work? Gently bring the wood up to the sander and let the sander work at its own pace. 50 grit paper (especially on a machine) will take off a lot of wood fairly quickly.
Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

The grit is probably dull. Try a new belt.
--
Regards,
Bill wrote:

Yes. The wood is getting hot. It is getting hot because of friction. The friction is caused by you pushing too hard against a disc that is (probably) spinning too fast. (I say "probably" because many disc sanders spin at around 3500 rpm; ones that spin at half that do better.)
The cure is to use a much lighter touch.
And on a 12" sander, the center of the disk is spinning significantly slower than the edge -- so don't hold the piece so close to the edge of the disk.
dadiOH wrote:

Thanks guys.
--

Bill