Disc Sander burning my wood! ??

Hi,

I have a 12" Delta disc sander with a 1/2 HP motor. Most every time I use it , it burns the wood.

Anybody know why? The sandpaper is rather aggressive - I would say about maybe 50, could be 80. I bought it with the paper on it and never bothered to change it.

I use one of those gummy things to clean the paper.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Bill

"Bill" wrote in news:7RuLf.40547$Dh.6996@dukeread04:

Perhaps you're trying to force the tool to work? Gently bring the wood up to the sander and let the sander work at its own pace. 50 grit paper (especially on a machine) will take off a lot of wood fairly quickly.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

The grit is probably dull. Try a new belt.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes. The wood is getting hot. It is getting hot because of friction. The friction is caused by you pushing too hard against a disc that is (probably) spinning too fast. (I say "probably" because many disc sanders spin at around 3500 rpm; ones that spin at half that do better.)

The cure is to use a much lighter touch.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Reply to
Mike Berger

replying to Bill, Pirate6093 wrote: You may be applying to much presser. That will give it a burnt finish.

Reply to
Pirate6093

(For context from the original post this is 12" disc, not hand sander--dpb)

They run too fast for anything but the lightest of pressure and briefest of contact in one place...MUST keep the workpiece moving.

Some woods (cherry perhaps most notoriously) are far more prone to burning than others, too, of course.

Reply to
dpb

On 9/19/2019 9:31 AM, dpb wrote:> On 9/19/2019 11:14 AM, Pirate6093 wrote: >> replying to Bill, Pirate6093 wrote: >> You may be applying to much presser. That will give it a burnt finish. > > (For context from the original post this is 12" disc, not hand sander--dpb) > > They run too fast for anything but the lightest of pressure and briefest > of contact in one place...MUST keep the workpiece moving. > > Some woods (cherry perhaps most notoriously) are far more prone to > burning than others, too, of course. > > -- >

If its an HF type bench sander with a cheap universal brush motor you might be able to slow it down (with a significant loss in power) with an external router speed control. If it a single phase AC induction motor. Nope. Sorry. Light momentary pressure or maybe only sanding near the center where the surface speed is less are your only cheap easy answers.

Of course you can always change it out to a DC treadmill motor with square pulse speed control or a 3 phase motor with a VFD for speed control. Both are popular on shop built belt grinders. No reason they won't work on a disc sander.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

If it's a HF type bench sander I doubt it's still around 13 years later. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On 9/19/2019 2:33 PM, 03 wrote:> On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at

3:50:42 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote: >> On 9/19/2019 9:31 AM, dpb wrote:> On 9/19/2019 11:14 AM, Pirate6093 wrote: >> >> replying to Bill, Pirate6093 wrote: >> >> You may be applying to much presser. That will give it a burnt finish. >> > >> > (For context from the original post this is 12" disc, not hand >> sander--dpb) >> > >> > They run too fast for anything but the lightest of pressure and briefest >> > of contact in one place...MUST keep the workpiece moving. >> > >> > Some woods (cherry perhaps most notoriously) are far more prone to >> > burning than others, too, of course. >> > >> > -- >> > >> >> If its an HF type bench sander with a cheap universal brush motor you >> might be able to slow it down (with a significant loss in power) with an >> external router speed control. If it a single phase AC induction motor. >> Nope. Sorry. Light momentary pressure or maybe only sanding near the >> center where the surface speed is less are your only cheap easy answers. >> > > If it's a HF type bench sander I doubt it's still around 13 years later. ;-) >

I have an 8.5x18 HF metal lathe I use in my shop a few days a week every week that's over 30 years old. I do also have a bigger more powerful lathe, but that old HF lathe still does its job. It doesn't have a brush motor though like a lot HF tools. Its got a proper reversible induction motor. (Their modern mini lathe has a brush motor.)

I bought an old HF wood lathe when I was a teenager. I gave it to a friend of mine when I was in my 20s. (He did plenty for me.) His grandson still uses that lathe today. I'm in my 50s.

Now as to my HF belt grinders... (with sanding wheel on the side) The little 1x30 gets used all the time. In fact I often prefer it to either of my regular bench grinders depending on the project. It might not last 13 years, although I think its approaching 10. The 4" belt grinder with side wheel will probably last 100 years unless I modify it. I don't use it much. Its so gutless if a fly lands on the belt I have to take the work piece away or the sudden jolt as it stops when the fly slams into the table would ruin the work piece.

Anyway, lots of HF tools have lasted more than 13 years. Some under daily use.

Reply to
Bob La Londe