Dining room table & chairs

What part of Ohio?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

North-east, a bit South of Akron-Canton. I did some contracting in Akron a couple of years ago and we spent several weekends scoping out furniture, quilts, and such. Very nice stuff, but I have to say, I've seen stuff you folks here have done that looks every bit as good.

This is the place we ended up buying our bedroom and dining room sets:

'll likely have them do a breakfast set and fill out some other pieces in the spring.

Reply to
krw

Sounds like New Philly-Dover area.

Grew up 30 miles west of Canton.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Most of the places are in Navarre, Berlin, Sugar Creek, Charm, and Kidron.

Wooster? They're about half way between Canton and Wooster and a bit South.

Reply to
krw

Been to ALL of the above.

My mother lived in Apple Creek.

Would go over to Kidron (less than 5 miles) for ice cream cones and a visit to Lehman Hd'we when I would go back for a visit.

Time to stock up on Trail Bologna and real Swiss Cheese.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You must have known Amish, then. Quite an interesting group.

We didn't buy much cheese while there. VT had lotsa good cheese too, so it wasn't a priority.

Reply to
krw

They gave my mother a chance to practice her German when she talked to them.

Would buy eggs and fresh garden vegetables from them.

In that area you have both the Amish and the "Beardless Amish", AKA: Mennonites.

Sometimes the only way to tell the difference from a distance was that the Mennonites drove automobiles.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That's one of the interesting things about the Amish. They're not against technology, rather luxuries. They'll gladly use technology in business (I posted the web site of the company I bought from) but will not have the same in their house. The company I bought from was not connected to the power grid but did have diesel generators to run the business. ...and cash registers, calculators... OTOH, some had gas lighting in their showrooms instead of generators. They, of course, used trucks to deliver their product, though it wasn't theirs. I don't know, but suspect the people hired to do their deliveries weren't Amish. Maybe they were Mennonites. ;-)

We did see Amish in the Chapel Hill Mall in Akron, driven there in large passenger vans. The do use automobiles, though I have no idea what the ownership details were.

Reply to
krw

that makes a lot of sense. I know I was applying uneven pressure each time I pulled the fabric. A good properly placed weight would have made it much easier.

Sometimes the obvious escapes us. :)

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

------------------------------------------------- They are allowed to use internal combustion engines for stationary power but not personal motive power or electrical systems in their homes.

My dad used to sell them oil and grease for their engines back in the late 40s and early 50s.

Back then, they used belt power for thrashing machines.

Quite common for the Amish to pay for a "Ride to town" to go shopping.

Several would share the cost by riding together.

If you ever got to Millersburg, the county seat for Holmes County, you got to see something totally unique.

Parking meters in front of the hitching posts on the town square.

Don't think you will find that any place else in the country.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Saw an interesting ad on Yesterday's Tractors several years ago. An Amish farm selling a relatively modern White diesel tractor. It had been equipped with steel wheels instead of rubber tires. My understanding that allowed level of technology is dependent upon the local church leadership.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

And there appears to be no way to tell except by being in the particular group what is/isn't "in".

We've lots of communities thruout KS; the variability between them within only 20-30 miles can be quite sizable. Particularly recently in the SW there has been a large influx of German-speaking Mexican and other SA nationals w/ a wholly different set of prohibitions and allowed practices it appears. These are mostly Mennonite in the large picture afaiu.

BTW, one "threshes" grain, not "thrash" for whichever/wherever I noticed that (and whatever it's worth :) ). Oh, and there are other places in US w/ hitching posts/and meters, too... :)

I saw an overall population map somewhere on the web--after the areas one would think of PA/OH/etc. that are much more heavily populated, KS was generally from 3rd-5th in various sects--they arrived very heavily in the mid-/late-19th century.

--

Reply to
dpb