Did I buy the wrong chuck?

Did I buy the wrong chuck?. I bought a versachuck model T which is their small version. If I try to hold anything longer than the diameter to make a vase or goblet, the wood moves off centre whenever I touch it with a gouge. I realise that I should probably have bitten the bullet and gone for a larger chuck but too late for that now. Surely even this lighter model should be able to hold a block of wood to make a small goblet or would I have this problem no matter which chuck I used?
Sun, Apr 29, 2007, 8:01pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@camerondesign.co.uk (camdes) laments: Did I buy the wrong chuck?. <snip> would I have this problem no matter which chuck I used?
Dunno. If I needed a chuck I'd probably just make a compresion chuck.
Ask at news:rec.crafts.woodturning
JOAT If you don't ask the right questions, the answers don't matter. - W.S. Lind

....how much wood
I know . . too easy.