What did I do wrong.

I Got a new shotgun and didn?t like the finish on it. Pretty cheap gun and it looked very plasticky. I sanded it all off and just used boiled linseed oil, it?s what I use on all my wood handled tools. The furn iture is walnut, or so the manufacture says. The for grip turned an extreme ly dark color while the butt stayed light. First i don?t know what I did to make such a difference in color and what can I do to darken the bu tt stock up that will let me continue to use BLO in the field?

Reply to
d.monson90

Stain the wood first. IF it was all walnut part of it was sapwood and the other part heartwood. By staing first with an oil based stain you can make the 2 parts match before oiling??

Reply to
Clare Snyder

p gun and it looked very plasticky. I sanded it all off and just used boile d linseed oil...

I like linseed oil for appearance, but for a good grip, I'd put some shella c over it. In fact, I've been doing that every few years to shovel and rake handles, it doesn't last decades but it IS a fine way to keep the woody parts maintained.

Reply to
whit3rd