Dick Proenneke

http://www.minifarmhomestead.com/outdoors/richardproenneke.htm
PBS was showing Alone in the Wilderness where Dick Proenneke was constructing a log cabin from the ground up. He slice logs into planks with a hand saw (free hand) that looked like it came out of a planer. I wonder how many manhours of practice for someone to achieve that level of skill?
I have seen the PBS show several times. Proenneke is truly a wonderful craftsman and seems to have had the physical energy of many men. While I don't covet the life that he led, I am envious of his skills and strength.
Rick
Kim wrote:

The wife and I watched that show last night. When he cut the scarf joints I told her she should have married him. When he cut the wooden hinges for his doors I said I should have married him!:) Wow what a craftsman.
DGA
On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 13:04:47 -0800, Kim wrote:

KCET is what I can get of PBS/WGBH, so worthless. They don't have it listed anywhere. BTW the link you gave is for the book, this is the best link to buy the video: http://www.dickproenneke.com/ too expensive. This guy Bob Swerer could put this video and the 20 years later visit follow-up video on one dvd, and sell it for the same price and gain more customers like "me"... who isn't able to see it.
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

I've read the link and set the TiVo! Thanks!
Kevin