Diamond hone block question

Just got a set of 3 diamond hones (coarse to fine) on ebay and they were advertised as needing only water as a lubricant which I'd seen before and elsewhere. On the back of the packagaing it says to use mineral oil. Mineral oil? Slight difference of opinion here. Who do I believe? The (probably) Chinese manufacturer or the (possibly) knowledgeable seller?

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

Just what the instructions said on the set I bought from Harbor Freight for $9.99. (ITEM 36799-4VGA)

I hope you didn't pay more than that. ____________________ Even if you are the on right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.

--Will Rogers ____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

No, I actually paid less. I guess I can start with water and see what happens.

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

Go on, make me jealous. :-)

____________________ Even if you are the on right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.

--Will Rogers ____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

I use water with my diamond "stones".

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

$6.70 (inc p+p) - not quite low enough to qualify as a gloat.

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

That sounds very macho, Owen.. *g*

I bought a bunch of the "harbor freight quality" diamond hone sets for $20.. I think there were 10 sets, fine, med, course..

I use the fine ones dry on my lathe chisels and they seem to work fine.. (I use them dry because they're on my headstock with a magnet)

Mac

mac davis

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 10:07:43 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Fly-by-Night CC quickly quoth:

I sharpen dry and clean, then clean up the plate with soap and water using an old toothbrush for scrubbing. I nigh onta lost some of my fingerprints once when trying to wipe it clean by hand. ;)

longer God makes us live. * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

Reply to
Larry Jaques