Diamond whetstones

Need some to resharpen TCT wood blade & planer blades that are struggling. But I don't know what grit's needed, and have no experience re brands with such products. Anyone have any guidance? Its not something I'd expect to use very often.

(I was peering at amazon fwiw)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

. But I don't know what grit's needed, and have no experience re brands wit h such products. Anyone have any guidance? Its not something I'd expect to use very often.

Axminster have a good range, and generally good guidance about products:

If you're looking at resharpening the blades in hand-planes, you need somet hing larger than the product you linked to - something more like 200mm long and wider than your plane blade - both to flatten the back, and so you can set the stone flat on the bench and run the blade over it at a constant an gle.

It's better if you can get someone to show you how to sharpen hand planes, to get them really sweet if you're making joinery etc.

TCT circular saw blades, these days I replace them. Buy quality, treat them well - and it's so long until they dull, that the replacement cost is smal l compared to the amount of work done (unless you're working something exot ic).

Reply to
dom

By TCT circular saw blade ...do you mean steel body with small Tungsten Carbide bits welded at teeth ends? They cannot be sharpened, they are harder than the "stone" or at least they were in the early 60's. One of my tasks when serving time in an engineering Tool Room was to reset the tools of a (very large) Bench Milling machine. Remove tool from machine. Back to workbench. Allen key to remove all TCT Bits. 20 in all. THROW them away and replace with new. Check all tooth heights on a Marking Out Table. Reset if required. Return to Milling Machine operator. Each bit was 1 inch square by 1/4 inch thick. ( for those with a good imagination of geometry....the process was actually less wasteful than described. Each bit was chamfered at each corner along the short edge. In the tool the bit was orientated to present a short cutting edge to the metal being cut. So you turned a bit 7 times before it was thrown away)

Reply to
Olav M

I think that's why he specified diamonds. You should be able to sharpen tct sawblades with diamond needle files and a set doesn't cost much. Failing that we normally sharpen tct tipped tools with a 'green wheel' which is harder than the usual grinder wheels you find.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom