Dewalt Buscuit jointer

What is peoples opinion on Dewalt Biscuit jointer. I am really NOT fond of dewalt products, they seem to be mostly big on marketing and little on quality. However it's on sale for $220 Canadian and Makita is $360. I like Makita and Milwakee products a lot more. I only will use it from time to time, I'm not a professional in this bussiness. No body else really makes them anymore. What are your opinions?

Reply to
Martin Pisz

I like mine, it's seen some pretty heavy use and is holding up well. It seems to hold an adjustment fine and is as accurate as I need it to be. The Porter Cable version does FF (extra small face frame) biscuits, the DeWalt does not.

Since I usually use pocket holes on face frames, I'd buy the DeWalt again.

The ultra high end model is Lameillo, but I haven't seen why I'd need to spend more money. Lamiello owners can probably tell you what I'm missing. I haven't used the Makita, so I can't do a direct comparison.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I'm not a pro either and the DeWalt performs well for me. It makes slots, the biscuits fit, it can be adjusted for different heights and angles.

Overall, it is a simple design and simple tool. It does what it is intended to do. I've not used other brands, but I'm not inclined to ever think about trading for another either. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I had read a lot of reviews, and had settled on either the DeWalt or Makita. I went to the WW show in Springfield MA, and spent sometime comparing them closely, including a few sample biscuits. Nothing could really separate them, but the Makita was about $5 cheaper, so that did it, I have been very happy with it.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

I like mine. DJ Marks evidently likes his - it's the one he uses on his show. That didn't influence my decision - picking it up new for $99 USD (Woodcraft special at a woodworking show) was the major factor.

Reply to
mttt

A million years ago Dewalt was the "bargain brand" for either B&D or Skil (can't remember which). Maybe the dislike for the brand goes back a long time. Times have changed. They match up pretty well with PC and Milwaukee (for a short period of time the latter wouldn't have been in the same class but we can talk about them again as they have been brought back to the premier league by the German outfit that almost killed them).

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

I tried the DeWalt and the PC and ended up choosing the Dewalt for two reasons. One, 90+% of my plate joining is 90° edge joining which both do. I haven't had an occasion where I need the small biscuits. Although the fence of the DeWalt isn't as versatile as the one on the PC, it still can do inside and outside angle joining if I need the capability.

The main reason I bought the DeWalt (after I found out both would serve my purpose) is the DeWalt felt more comfortable to use and it seemed to have a better balance. I haven't regretted the decision.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas

First off, $360CAD seems a bit high for the Makita, I've seen it for $300CAD at Art's Tools on St Catharines. A Home Hardware or Canadian Tire should be able to get it for you at a decent price if there is one local to you. Why am I saying this? Because I like the Makita, tho I can really only compare it to the PC 557, both of which I placed above the Dewalt. To me Dewalt seem more like construction/carpentry tools than for cabinetry and joinery. My main criteria was that I wanted to be able to cut a slot in a mitre from the outside face a board. This, IMO, is the way they should be cut, especially when it is the outside face that will be visible. I hope that makes sense.

The PC seemed like a better value - more power, face frame cutter, a little more versatile, an unobstructed dust port, $10 more... The dust port on the Mak would plug when cutting solid wood, but now so does the PC, so much for that. In a year, I've never used the face frame cutter - usually I can let a biscuit hang out and cut it off later, this will get trimmed over later. In use the PC doesn't feel much more powerful, they both cut fine. Then there is the fence - Mak placed the adjusters on the front, leaving the sides clear (no knobs to get caught) and is a bit narrower so it can get closer to corners. The scale is also part of the casting rather than applied. A couple times the scale on my PC has caught something and bent, not a big deal, just an annoyance. The plastic centering plate that comes with the PC is also handy as a spacer. Ideally it would be nice to have them both. If I were to choose one again it would be the Makita, a simple machine where it counts, no bells and whistles, no annoyances.

Now how does this relate to the Dewalt? I'd say it depends on what you want it to do and what you're willing to pay. If you'll be doing mainly face frames and butt joints the Dewalt should work fine, and it will cut mitres, just not my way. If you want a joiner that is more adept at cabinetry go Makita. Any questions, let me know.

HTH, Jeffo

Reply to
Jeffo

snip I only will use it from time

I've used the PC, but I bought a King. $120 Canadian and it does everything I need it to do. If I ever wear it out, I'll know, then, that I need a really good one and I'll buy a Lamello.

Ed

Reply to
Ed G

The DeWalt joiner has an interesting "feature" that is not available on the PC: the base plate has a bit of extra flat portion that you can use to clamp your joiner to something with.

$200 CAD at House of Tools (no affiliati> What is peoples opinion on Dewalt Biscuit jointer. I am really NOT fond of

Reply to
Daniel