Desk and Hutch

Im in the planning stages of building a desk and hutch. Youve seen the desks you can buy that have a seperate hutch/bookcase that sits on top of the desk. I want to build this as two seperate pieces. What is the common way to connect them after theyre built? Its going to be in a childs room and I dont want it to be wobbly or have any chance of tipping over. The units Ive seen in stores have 2 "braces" that are about maybe 8" long and an inch wide that are screwed on the back and attatch to the top and bottom unit, but it still seems like if would lean back if anyone lean against the top of the hutch, since nothing is holding the front of the hutch to the desk. I may not be explaining this very well, but does anyone have any ideas? The desk will be 24" deep but the hutch is only 14" deep.
Personal suggestion, put two L brackets on each side about 1 - 2 inches from the edges, then paint them
Clif

or use brass L brackets so they look good
Clif wrote:

Yes they do, thanks for catching my slack lol
Clif

now if they just made L brackets in a brushed puter finnish, now where talking(brass is a little over done)
Clif wrote:

Well then you might like this...
http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref 320
and I am not sure about durability, but this pewter hinge would look purty (yes I am a hick) lol
Clif

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Piranah) wrote in

<snippage>
In California, where earthquakes are a matter of life as much as strong winds are elsewhere, nervous mothers agree that bolting these into the studs of the walls with lags and washers is the best method.
It also helps to make it sturdier when the little buggers decide to go climbing.
Patriarch, whose handle was earned raising four sons...