Delta 14" band saw dust collection

I searched Google for some info on dust collection for my saw. Not much luck. Anyone know of a better set up than the factory small port?
Max
Max wrote: I searched Google for some info on dust collection for my saw. Not much luck. Anyone know of a better set up than the factory small port?
Max
You might check out Iturra Designs' catalogue, and they're not on the net. Toll-free 888.722.7078. There's a set-up they sell for less than fifty bucks ($37 in their 2005 catalogue) that improves dust collection. Got Carter blade guides on this saw? If so, this connector won't work for you. Tom

No Carter guides. Thanks, Max
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 17:37:15 GMT, "Max"

drill a 4" hole in the back of the saw right behind the blade or in front on the door. this works pretty well.
I did the door and it works real well, wish I had done the back side though. Dust collector in door makes it hard to change blades.

I modified the little factory port to 2", placed a 4"& 2" Y behind the saw. Its mounted at the top of the leg with the 2" port facing toward the now modified factory port. Then I cut a 4" hole in the door just below the center of the drive wheel. A 4" flex hose runs from the door around the left side, over the motor and connects to the Y. Works great and no problem chanhinh blades since the door hinge swings toward the motor where the 4" hose runs. Looks ungainly, but no more choking on fine dust.
Jim in the Bluegrass
Jim

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 14:08:56 -0600, "Curran Copeland"

not sure why I did not. I guess the door would be easier to replace. I only change them when they are dull so it is not that big of a deal.

I was hoping to find a way without having to cut any holes. Thanks, Max
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 17:37:15 GMT, "Max"

I have the metal Delta fitting that attaches below the table. I bought it years ago at Coastal Tool. My particular fitting accepts a 5" dust hose. It's not perfect, but it's better than anything else I've seen. It was ~$20 US, as I recall.

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Ridiculous price.
What I'm currently using is just the shop vac with tapered nozzle hanging from a string tied to the table pin. If you can get the sawdust right below the table before it gets to the lower blade guides then you'll get most of it. I intend to make a better fitting attachment in the future, but the tapered nozzle is working pretty well for the short term.
-Leuf
"Leuf" wrote

That'll work for me.
Thanks, Max

But, not a bad idea. I'm sure I could make one from scrap material and the picture provided. Currently I'm using a wooden doughnut that I turned on my lathe. It has a tapered hole that friction-fits onto the Delta DC port, then the 4" DC hose fits over the outside.

Leuf wrote:

Not really, once you've used it. I paid ~ $20-25, but that was several years ago.
The mountings attach to the table locks, so a twist if the levers swings it away for blade changes or lower guide adjustments.
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 17:37:15 GMT, "Max"

What model? Enclosed stand or open? Older domestic model or newer imported?
Frank

Wow. Didn't realize there was that much difference in the 14" model(s). I've had it for about fifteen years; I guess it's a little older. Closed stand. I'm not in the shop or I would look to see which model it is.
Max
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 01:52:07 GMT, "Max"

Best dust collection for an enclosed stand (at least as tested best prior to introduction) is the method used for the current Delta domestic unit such as the X5. It uses a cuttout in the bottom of the lower guard that is over a cuttout in the stand with a chute that angles to the back of the stand.
After seeing the test results (vs. all the other methods in use at the time) I modified my older 14" enclosed stand model in the same manner. Not easy, but can be done with some metal cutting equipment to make the cuttouts and some sheet metal to form the duct and a little caulk to seal it off. You also have to remove the inadequate dust collector under the guard below the table and seal that hole off.
If you go to a dealer who stocks that unit you can see how it is configured then copy it.
Frank.

I have an X5, and the front sheet metal collector works far better than the chute / rear connector. I've tried them connected by wye and individually, and the front collector has worked the best for me.

Glad you're having that experience.
I did watch them all lined up cutting the same volume of wood. Delta's old front guard port, an enhanced version of that, the lower base casting side port, Delta's and several competitiors, and the clear winner (as determined by weighing the amount of dust collected) was the bottom guard/cuttout in the stand. Made a believer out of me, therefore I modified my older unit.
The tests, however did not include any accessory items, only what was provided stock with the units.
Frank
I mounted a blastgate on the bottom door. I can open it and put on a four inch hose. it works good. Also screwed on the inside is an expanded steel mesh to keep out fingers. I did use some stick on foam weatherstripping to seal up some of the gaps, but didn't need to really
John
Max wrote:

Try these:
Good: http://onlinetoolreviews.com/articles/bandsawdustcollection.htm Better: http://onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/torquatadustpicker.htm