decision time

I have finally decided to up grade my 7/8 HP Craftsmen router . I am thinking I really need a Makita 1101 kit , I have other Makita tools and really like them. Now I see Porter Cable has a 895 kit 2 1/4 HP router also, with above the table adjustment. The router is going to have to do double duty in a table and freehand also. Don't know if anybody has an opinion on my dilemma , but if you do I would like to hear it. Thanks, just having a hard time making up my mind .

Reply to
Rick Swartout

Rick Swartout notes:

How about an addition for your dilemma? Bosch makes a really excellent 2-1/4 HP, with dual base kit. I have one I haven't had time to open yet, but from my past Bosch experience it will be excellent. My guess is the Porter-Cable 895 will also be excellent: it is, I understand, intended as a replacement for the venerable 690 series. I've got a 690 D handle that is actually a mainstay of my router work for years. I've also got the older basic Bosch, regular base. Other than corrosion on the magnesium, that has been a superb router.

Charlie Self "Politics: A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage. " Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

I like my Bosch 1617 with the extra ($55) base made for table work- has an extra long depth adjustment knob that's easy to reach for underneath. Or just use the same base and buy the long knob for $5.

Reply to
Tom

The porter cable has excellent versatility with a wide range of accessories and jigs available. It is also very heavy.

My recommendation would be the Porter if you have strong arms, the Mak if you don't, a Bosch if you want a good all-rounder and a Triton if you're going to use it in a table often.

Reply to
Norman Lever