Dead EWP

Well, the old pine just north of the house is officially dead in the ground. It was dead last year, but I wanted to be sure I didn't have a dead-ringer on my hands.

I'd like to salvage a bit of wood from it and make from it. Despite the sap, it afforded the best views when climbed, so I figure I'll make a rustic frame for a panoramic photo taken from the top.

My question is this - should I limb it and let it season in the ground a couple years before felling it? I've read about that being done with old hardwoods before. It'd make a great flagpole for a few years.

JP

************************************************* Nope, nada, no research whatsoever.
Reply to
Jay Pique

i've tried to salvage standing dead eastern white pines before and found them rotten to the point where they don't even make decent kindling. at best, only the heartwood was still sound.

Reply to
marson

Could one drill a "core sample?"

Would that help determine the condition without impacting the yield significantly?

Reply to
Gooey TARBALLS

Reply to
Max Mahanke

I'm just going to fell it and be done with it. Que sera sera.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Interesting! I have some 4" x 8" beams of beautiful quartersawn white oak that I salvaged during our remodel two years ago that I am intending to re-saw part of to make various furniture projects.

Any suggestions besides a really good re-saw blade? I have never actually re-sawn myself, but my neighbor has a nice 18" Laguna BS and I was going to buy my own re-saw blade for use when I use his saw.

TIA

D'ohBoy

Reply to
petengail

I don't know about where you live, but around here, the termites will do away with the roots within a year and the tree falls, sometimes with bad results. John in SC

Reply to
John Heacock

Infeed and outfeed support/rollers.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

"My question is this - should I limb it and let it season in the ground a couple years before felling it? I've read about that being done with old hardwoods before. It'd make a great flagpole for a few years. "

After just one weekend volunteering for the sawmill at a local steam thresheree and chatting with the folks who brought logs to get cut up for real cheap, I've come to the conclusion that fallen or standing logs don't actually "dry". They rot. Sometimes to the point where a healthy-looking log will be nothing but a cylinder of good wood surrounding a whole lot of dust and bugs. It looks like a year is the longest you can leave it, and then you're still taking a chance.

Reply to
else24