Dead dog?

Page 1 of 3

This morning, my neighbor's dog was wandering around in my yard. That's not really unusual, he jumps the fence a lot and since my dogs like playing with his, I just put him in the back yard and went into the house to leave a message on his owner's answering machine so he can be picked up tonight.
Apparently, I didn't close the door to my shop all the way. When I came out, the door was wide open and I got inside just in time to see the neighbor's dog lift his leg on my almost-finished project, an 8-foot custom oak bookshelf for my wife.
My first thought was "where's my axe and how do I make this look like an accident."
Luckily, I already had two coats of stain and a coat of poly on it and was about to put the second coat of poly on today, so there was no damage done. It got wiped off, I sprayed some odor remover and I'm waiting to make sure there's no smell before I put on the second coat of poly.
Now I'm wondering if I should tell my wife or if it should be one of those "errors" that we, as woodworkers, know are there, but we don't talk about. ;)
Brian Henderson wrote:

Never speak of this again...
B a r r y wrote:

Agreed. If you tell her about it, she WILL smell it forever.
Joe Barta
Maybe even a 3rd coat? Tom

Oh, she is going to smell it alright... Just don't tell her what it is that she smells.
Leon wrote:

I'm not sure you understand. If she's never told, she probably won't smell anything. More than likely, there will be nothing to smell.
But... if you tell her... and she's a typical female... she will know that some dog peed on her (whatever it was) and she will probably THINK she smells it. The smell will be stronger if it was kitchen furniture and stronger still if it was bedroom furniture.
You could douse it in bleach, burn it, irradiate it, nuke it and put it in the desert for 20 years.... bring it back into the house and it will still be stuck in her craw that some dog peed on it and she can STILL smell it!
Joe Barta
Joe Barta wrote:

Sounds like we have the same wife - or at least identical twins :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down

I do not know of any woman that cannot smell everything.
On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 05:28:17 GMT, "Leon"

I've been trying to identify a phantom smell in my wife's Jeep for 3 months. Apparently, only she can smell it, so I know exactly what you mean.
On occasion, she's been with me in cabinet or auto body shops, where there's a SLIGHT overhanging lacquer scent. You know, that sweet paint / finish smell that makes one of us go ummmmmmmmm, shooooop sssssssssmel.... By her reaction, you'd think we were touring the sewage treatment plant, or a Chinese plastics factory, and we will die within minutes. <G>
Much entertainment value is obtained by placing the empty box and packing materials from a Chinese-made stationary power tool in the living room for a few hours... All of you know THE SMELL!
Barry
Ba r r y wrote:

The same goes for the car making odd noises or acting funny only when she is alone in the car. The minute you drive the car with her, the car acts normally and the noise mysteriously disappears.

Saw a bit on the news about that "new car smell" actually being quite toxic. Damn! Everything thats good eventually causes cancer.
Joe Barta
Joe Barta
Life is 100% fatal.

CW wrote:

Many years ago the comedian, George Carlin, reported that researchers had discovered that saliva causes cancer. But only when swallowed in small quantities over a long period of time.
As CW relates... Nobody is getting out of life alive, so enjoy it to the maximum and don't worry about how MUCH time you have, but how much you enjoy it.

"Chinese factory smell" is NOT a pleasurable experience, even to those of us who are overly sensitive.
Barry
The Joe Barta entity posted thusly:

Not hard to understand, I suppose, since it probably comes from all sorts of outgassing from new plastics, adhesives, and so on. Makes you wonder, though about the "new car smell" aerosol cans. Are they benign imitations of toxic fumes, or the real thing?
    Our love is like a new car smell     Sooner or later it all goes to hell     Somebody farts or spills some Taco Bell     Our love is like a new car smell.
         The Arrogant Worms          2004

I'd probably experience a measure of stress and the wear on my psyche if my new car smelled bad. I figure the shortening of my life because of the toxins of "new car gas" would be balanced by the benefit I'd get from the satisfaction of a new car.
wrote in message

The toxic exhaust has been rerouted to the interior of the car. :~)

Repackaged factory waste. LOL. Actually I worked in the car industry for almost 30 years and none of the "NewCar" aerosol sprays smelled like a new car to me. But then again I hardly notice the new car smell at all any more.
On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:10:47 GMT, B a r r y

Yeah, probably best. I heard back from the guy, he came home for lunch and then came to get the dog and apologized all over the place, but there was no harm done, so no harm, no foul. It's still a good dog, I just have to remember to keep the door shut tightly when he's around.
Brian Henderson wrote:

It could be worse... when I was a kid, we had this neighbor with a handful of hound dogs that got into our house on Christmas Day and mauled our Christmas turkey. We ended up having Christmas dinner at a Chinese restaurant.
fah-rah-rah-rah-rah...
Joe Barta
Joe Barta typed:
It could be worse... when I was a kid, we had this neighbor with a handful of hound dogs that got into our house on Christmas Day and mauled our Christmas turkey. We ended up having Christmas dinner at a Chinese restaurant.
fah-rah-rah-rah-rah...
Joe Barta
Joe, Was your turkey still alive at this point of time?
Marc