David Marks on the Drums

Page 2 of 2
On 11/14/12 5:44 PM, Bill wrote:

Perhaps that's what she needed to work up the courage to sing with those guys. :-)
--

-MIKE-

My impression having grown up in the Seattle music scene is like every thing else there are too many people trying to make a living off other peoples talent and work. This covers all areas of work.
Mike M
On 11/14/2012 6:22 PM, Swingman wrote:

Firstly, I suspect it does. But what I was really getting at is that it's good to work at things that require effort and skill, even if there will always be flaws, and even though someone else will always be better than you.
Dalliance? Hobby? Avocation? Passion? Go for it, I say. Go for several "its", in fact. There's a whole world of stuff to do, and not nearly the time to try all of it.

The people in that video, with one exception, are far from being "kids". I suspect they have a reasonably realistic assessment of their own skills. Were I there with them I might offer a few tips, the fingering for a Ninth chord perhaps, maybe a suggestion to concentrate first on a steady groove, then embellish. Perhaps they'd return the favor and offer a wood-simpleton like myself a pointer or two about planes. But I see no profit in a blanket slap at their proficiency.
I'm listening to Keith Jarrett as I write this. I am alternately dumbfounded by how much he can play, and by how little. It's a level of musicianship I'll never attain. But I'm proud of the music I make, and I'll get better, partly by absorbing a bit here and there from people like that.
I'm much less far along the path to being a woodworker, but I'm improving at that as well. And I hope that when people see my results, they'll be inclined to offer encouragement and specific tips to make the next project better. That *has* been my experience here, by the way.
On 11/14/12 8:08 AM, Swingman wrote:

Yeah, my Mom told me, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. That girl is pretty cute.
--

-MIKE-

On 11/14/2012 10:52 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Definitely easy on the eyes. :-)
On 11/13/2012 10:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Nice shop, music was distracting. ;~(
Leon wrote:

(I apologize for an accidentally sent message, with no content added)
Based on what I heard, I went looking on YouTube for a Stevie Ray Vaugn version (but didn't locate one). Who did the definitive version of the song? Screaming Jay Hawkins?
On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 20:15:43 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Not too painful. Ashley's cute, so that'll get them gigs. ;)
-- While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness. -- Gilda Radner
On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:15:43 PM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

David gets much higher "marks" for his other work with wooden sticks. At least I feel I can kick his ass in the sound stuidio.