Dark ages of architecture

Page 3 of 3

SO if it only meets two of three of the above criteria, it's not a McMansion?

Read on...

Raead on...

I certainly do. Or is a "McMansion" just any house you don't like?

It's hard to understand you when there are no common words.

Your other posts in the thread belie this.
"basilisk" wrote:
------------------------------------ Memories
Lew

Sooo that's who to blame. I've been in more then one of these houses, over time. One of my BFF's and her first husband had one of them there split levels. My wife's sister and hubby had one of the ranches that are too reminiscent of these plans. Ugly, ugly.
I'm waiting for the "This Old House" updates for one of these homes. I can't wait for Tommy or Norm talk about the cheap and lazy carpenter work.
MJ
On 7/26/2012 12:02 PM, MJ wrote:

I doubt that ... most of those tract and custom plan houses built in the fifties to mid sixties were well built with a skilled labor pool, if a bit shy or room sizes and ammenities, and much of the framing lumber was old growth and higher quality than today's plantation grown material.
Generally speaking it was in the 70's that developers/builders started focusing on a less expensive to build product, cutting corners on foundations, paint, siding, and wiring, and the labor pool had certainly become less skilled.
There are plenty exceptions for either period though.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/26/12 12:24 PM, Swingman wrote:

I agree. Keep in mind that those houses had to be put up very quickly, due to the fact that the boomers were being born and suburbia was exploding. What allowed them go up quickly was that simply design, not any shortcuts and lack of skill by the carpenters of that time.
--

-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 7/26/12 12:24 PM, Swingman wrote:

I agree. Keep in mind that those houses had to be put up very quickly, due to the fact that the boomers were being born and suburbia was exploding. What allowed them go up quickly was that simply design, not any shortcuts and lack of skill by the carpenters of that time.
Hey, Swing, think Sharpstown or Oak Forest as post-WWII tract-housing booms.
Dave in Texas
On 7/28/2012 6:20 AM, Dave in Texas wrote:

That area, Sharpstownish, 59 Bellaire, Fondren is loaded with these type homes.

Frank Sharp specials we used to call 'em.
<><><><><>< It now takes me all day long to do what I used to do all day long.
The Quartermaster

I think that a recent This Old House series was on just that style of house, although vastly more upper class then Basilisk's original. They didn't spare any money redoing it. <http://tinyurl.com/br2vdl8 or <http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/products-and-services/resources/0,,10 62246,00.html> And it suffered from original design, craftsmanship or material shortcomings plenty! -- Best regards Han email address is invalid

Hey, I like those flat-roofed styles.
Jeeze, look at the build price. I'll bet Swingy couldn't do one for that today.
-- It takes as much energy to wish as to plan. --Eleanor Roosevelt
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 17:44:14 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

I'll bet he wouldn't get out of bed for that paltry sum :)
Just think of that price on a thirty year fixed note, especially after the inflationary '70's. (providing you managed to still have a job)
basilisk

The '70s is when you wanted a thirty-year fixed note! ;-) ...sorta like today. ;-)

I always think of mortgages as doubling the cost of the house, so that's about $40k, or $111.11 a month. That's easily doable today by most people, eh? <snicker>
-- It takes as much energy to wish as to plan. --Eleanor Roosevelt
On 7/26/2012 9:17 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Yes. But look at the price of rent these days!
Dallas average: http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate?a=MSAAvgRentalPrice&msa 22
A two bed-room apartment (usually second or third floor) is more than my brand new mortgage.
"Richard" wrote:

----------------------------------- Here in SoCal, that would be the low rent district.
Lew